Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

Offload DNS queries to secondary name servers?

Discussion in 'Bind/DNS/Nameserver' started by Reado, Nov 19, 2018.

1. Reado

Reado Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    My cPanel server uses PowerDNS 4.1.4 and acts as the master server as far as DNS goes. Any changes to DNS zones are replicated to the secondary DNS servers hosted by DNS Made Easy.

However my cPanel server is still an authoritive DNS server for the domain. I'm trying to look for a way to minimise the load on the server whilst improving the DNS lookup for connecting clients. It would make sense to use DNS Made Easy instead of the cPanel server since DME use geographic servers compared to the cPanel server which does not.

Could I use cPanel to manage the DNS zones, i.e. create, edit and delete, but only have the DNS Made Easy servers set as the authoritive DNS servers? If it's possible, would there be any problems or negative effects in doing this?

Assuming it is possible, my understand on how I would go about doing this would be to simply edit the domain at the registrar to remove the cPanel server as a glue record, leaving only the DNS Made Easy glue records. Does that sound right?

2. LucasRolff

LucasRolff Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    No, it's perfectly fine to do that :) Your cPanel server doesn't have to be serving any DNS traffic - as long as something replies as an authoritative DNS server for your domain, you'll be fine :)

cPanelLauren likes this.
  3. cPanelLauren

cPanelLauren Forums Analyst II Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    That sounds about right and as mentioned by @LucasRolff it is perfectly find to use something like DNSonly to offload your DNS traffic.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Reado

Reado Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    My name servers are currently configured as follows:

ns0 (WHM)
    ns1 (Slave)
    ns2 (Slave)
    ns3 (Slave)

I have changed the name servers at the registrar to ns1, ns2 and ns3.

In WHM within the zone file for the domain, I have set the primary name server to ns1 and listed the NS records as ns1, ns2 and ns3.

Does this sound correct?

How do the slave name servers know to contact the WHM server for the master record? Do they use the information within the zone file or is this done after PDNS notifies them?

5. cPanelLauren

cPanelLauren Forums Analyst II Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...