The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Offsite backup. Struggling...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by chakorules, Sep 23, 2003.

1. chakorules

chakorules Member

I am really struggling with this offsite backup stuff.

I've went as far as setting up a Red hat 8.0 box here at home. I installed webmin, I installed Pure FTP. I created an account and it works just fine. I can go into CPanel, click on Backup, click on FULL Backup, enter my FTP information, go to sleep and the next morning my website has backed up to my home box...however my delima is this:

I want to do an automatic backup. It can either be in Cpanel per website based, or WHM per server based, I don't care.

What I can't figure out is how to IGNORE one folder or two folders.

I want to run a full backup, except. home/user/folder1 and another folder called home/user/folder2.

Other than that I want to backup everything else, MYSQL, user folder, cpanel configs, logs...everything else....

Anyone have any bright ideas? I am not yet fully developed with hacking in bash yet, but I am learning more everyday. I understand linux using webmin, because that's what I have at home, but setting up linux all in a command line....boy do I have alot to learn yet, so I can see why I have this problem trying to do this, it seem like a simple batch file could be created, and an entry into cron could be done..but I don't have a clue about that. I;ve read about rSync...but I don't know if that is what I need or not.

cPanel.net Support Ticket Number:

2. perlchild

perlchild Well-Known Member

You could always set up a few cron jobs to call rsync (over ssh if necessary) for each of the directories you want backed up, it has an ignore feature

3. chakorules

chakorules Member

I got to reading some more I wonder if rsync is for me. It doesn't appear to support FTP transfers, only SSH etc.

Is there anything else out there that you guys have used besides rsync that supports an FTP transfer and can exclude folders?

4. perlchild

perlchild Well-Known Member

I was recommending rsync so you wouldn't have to use ftp...
    ncftp and wget can download recursively, but you download the whole thing each day. With rsync, you only transfer the differences. Bit less load on your server, especially memorywise for large files

5. chakorules

chakorules Member

Thanks perchild for watching over me on the ftp thing, but for now since I am still learn, I kind of like the ftp thing. I'll see what kind of trouble I can cause with the other stuff you mentioned.