Oh gosh why am I so lost! AWS nameservers

Chrome017

Registered
Jan 10, 2018
USA
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
I could really use some help because I have searched hi and low for an answer setting up my name-servers for a AWS cpanel host!. Durring setup of cpanel / WHM at the very start I'm prompted to make two name servers or leave it default with some whacky internal AWS name-server, question number one do I leave it default or do I do ns1.mydomain.com & ns2.mydomain.com. Number two if I punch in my custom nameservers in at the start and go to google my domain (google sells domains) I add the nameservers to google and it says invalid. DO I use AWS Route 53? name servers? in WHM? and my register? ALSO do I change my hostname in WHM? or leave it default with AWS internal stuff? Currently in AWS in lower description tab under instances my Public DNS is XXXXXXXX.compute.amazonaws.com, do I also need a A record in route 53? with my public IP pointed towards mydomain.com? I'm currently set to PowerDNS. I have attached a bunch of photos when I punch my domain in it resolves is this even a proper setup? How come I can't have my own name servers I'd really like help and some explanation of what I'm doing wrong I've spent four hours on this. I'd like to make note I did change the host name in WHM to my domain, I would just like the proper setup lol this is driving me nuts!

Attachments

cPanelLauren

Product Owner II
Staff member
Nov 14, 2017
Houston
Durring setup of cpanel / WHM at the very start I'm prompted to make two name servers or leave it default with some whacky internal AWS name-server, question number one do I leave it default or do I do ns1.mydomain.com & ns2.mydomain.com.
As noted by @dalem if you'd like to host DNS locally you'll enter your nameservers here. If you haven't created your nameservers you'll want to read the following on how to do so: How to Set Up Nameservers in a cPanel Environment | cPanel & WHM Documentation

ALSO do I change my hostname in WHM? or leave it default with AWS internal stuff?
This is entirely up to you, though most opt to change their hostname to something that is more suitable for their needs.

AWS has a ton of documentation on this as well:

and https://docs.aws.amazon.com/Route53/latest/DeveloperGuide/domain-update-settings.html as a whole.

cPanelLauren

Product Owner II
Staff member
Nov 14, 2017
Houston
& register the name servers with your IP's at your registrar

I think you forgot that step
Actually, what I'd wager is occurring is that the steps as follows aren't being done from the Documentation I provided: How to Set Up Nameservers in a cPanel Environment | cPanel & WHM Documentation

Configure your default nameservers.
To configure your default nameservers, perform the following steps:

1. Navigate to WHM’s Basic WebHost Manager Setup interface (WHM >> Home >> Server Configuration >> Basic WebHost Manager Setup).
  2. At the bottom of the interface, enter the desired nameserver names in the text boxes.
  3. Click Save Changes.
Create A or AAAA entries for your nameservers.
To create A or AAAA entries for your nameservers, perform the following steps:

1. Navigate to WHM’s Basic WebHost Manager Setup interface (WHM >> Home >> Server Configuration >> Basic WebHost Manager Setup).
  2. Next to the appropriate Nameservers text box, click Configure Address Records. A new interface will appear and the system will perform a DNS lookup on the nameserver that you entered.
  3. settingally, update the IP addresses in the appropriate text boxes.
    • To enter a different IPv4 address, enter a new value in the Enter an IPv4 address to create an A record text box or Confirm the IPv4 address to create an A record text box.
    • To enter a different IPv6 address, enter a new value in the Enter an IPv6 address to create an AAAA record (settingal) text box.
  4. Click Configure Address Records. The system will display the results of your changes.
  5. Click Close.
  6. Repeat these steps for each nameserver.
Set up nameservers with your registrar.
After you configure your server’s nameservers, you must register your nameservers with your registrar.

• When you register nameservers, you announce their existence to the rest of the internet. You do not perform this action in cPanel & WHM, but you must do it or your nameservers will not function.
  • For steps for many popular registrars, see the Instructions for various registrars section below.
***Important*** in many cases this must be done in the order I provided here.