The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Oh No MYSQL again?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by techark, Apr 8, 2003.

1. techark

techark Well-Known Member

I just ran /scripts/upcp to fix the formail and realsignup holes and the cron job every hour.

and saw a bunch of perl and mysql compiling going on.

and now a customer submits a ticket.

His forum just stopped working.

mysql-databaseerrormysql-database error
    Database error in WoltLab Burning Board: Invalid SQL: SELECT b.*,t.topic, t.prefix AS threadprefix, i.* FROM bb1_boards b LEFT JOINbb1_threads t ON (t.threadid=b.lastthreadid) LEFT JOIN bb1_icons i USING(iconid) ORDER by b.parentid ASC, b.boardorder ASC
    mysql error: Can't open file: 'bb1_threads.MYI'. (errno: 145)
    mysql error number: 1016
    Date: 08.04.2003 @ 11:27
    Script: /forum/index.php

What now???

2. cPanelNick

cPanelNick Administrator
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider

Looks like a problem with the db file..

you might try mysqlcheck or myisamchk on his database files.

3. DaveUsedToWorkHere

DaveUsedToWorkHere Well-Known Member

Try using Repair a Local Database from WHM under MySQL.

4. sexy_guy

sexy_guy Well-Known Member

There are some problem with MySQL 4.0.12 and Invisions as well as phpbb. If you read the msg forums you will find litterally hundreds of msg where MySQL 4.x has caused all kinds of problems with hung tables. What the users has to do go into the mysql db and click on repair.

5. Jontxu40

Jontxu40 Well-Known Member

Same here

Same problems and certain db are impossible to repair with WHM or mysqlcheck

What now ? Any ideas ?

6. Esr Tek

Esr Tek Active Member

Some where I read that to fix phpBB or IB you had to fix the particular table in phpMyAdmin.

I will try to find a link...

7. Elena

Elena Well-Known Member

We seem to be experiencing the same thing with the hung tables and forums clients run.
    *wonders why cpanel thought they should make the decision on upgrading MySQL for us or without even a warning that it would be* :rolleyes: :mad:

In my search for a fix to this problem I came across a post at the vbulletin forums by eva2000
    http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=69070

In the thread the following is recommended:
    Has anyone tried this? Does it help in having these errors show up less?

It is also given a 3rd suggestion for people who have corrupted databases... but the problem isn't fixing them, it's stopping it from even happening. Most forum admins don't have the time to check their forums every second of every day and this is going to become a very HUGE problem if something isn't found to correct it. :(

For those looking on how to fix the problem or help your clients who are not familiar with using the shell or who don't have shell access to correct the problem, just do or tell them the following.
    But like I said before, this is only a temporary fix. Once the client does this their table can (most likely will) get corupted again. Highly active forums seem to be having the problem even more. What really angers me is that most sites for these forum scripts are blaming it on cpanel (and suggesting to their users that they inform their host that it is and that cpanel has "issued a fix" to this. cpanel had a fix for one thing to my knowledge and that was the initial problems with having mySQL upgraded and nothing more *sigh*) I really don't feel this is a cpanel problem, but more with a MySQL config problem or just incompatibility with the current release of MySQL and these scripts and how they handle table updates.

That is what I am seeking to find out, is it a script problem, a MySQL problem, or a cpanel problem (which seems to be these script authors blame game toy atm.. funny though because users not on a cpanel server but with MySQL 4.0.x still have the errors) or all three?

I also found reports that are saying the only time this corruption happens is when MySQL is restarted. I haven't received any e-mails from cpanel saying MySQL failed and is automatically being restarted.. so I wonder if cpanel is restarting MySQL without saying it is or giving any fair warning. The last /scripts/upcp e-mail I got didn't do anything with MySQL so I doubt it was restarted then (why would it be?) but none-the-less this morning all over again I am getting reports that tables are once again corrupt. :(

#7 Elena, Apr 10, 2003
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2003
  8. Keegan

Keegan Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
  9. Elena

Elena Well-Known Member

I just added my 2 cents to that thread.. because I'm just really angry about this entire mess. vBulletin, InvisionBoard, PhpBB, almost all the forum providers out there are pointing their fingers at cpanel and putting my clients into panic mode for no good reason. Definetely not a cpanel thing.. also not a problem with mySQL restarting.. problem with MySQL 4.0.12.. most likely.

What to do.. rollback MySQL (probably cause more problems than correct) or wait for the next version of MySQL to be released and hopefully they fix the bug this time? Ugh.. next time cpanel better do the MySQL upgrade along with the main cpanel upgrade and not with the darkorb/security fixes or maybe not even upgrade it at all, isn't this something we should be doing with watchful eyes anyway? Upgrading such an important part of our service without knowing it or being able to give our own clients fair warning is totally unacceptable.

10. SageBrian

SageBrian Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    We've got a great product here.... but the automatic updating leaves much to be desired.

A major Database upgrade without notification? ouch. A major software upgrade for the database thru the 'security fix'? double ouch.

Love the product, but slow down a bit. Be a bit stingy with the 'latest and greatest' and do a big review on the updating procedure.... please.

11. Elena

Elena Well-Known Member

Just found this posted by Nick:
    http://forums.cpanel.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8740
    Question, how well was this tested out before saying that's the fix? By making this change could I be in for even more problems? Has anyone tried this yet with success?

They are still "investigating" the problem so that just makes me very uneasy to change something that's worked for months because it seems to fix one thing.. but will it break another?

12. wacnstac

wacnstac Well-Known Member

This problem is still killing my sql databases with SQL 4.0.14 and WHM 7.4.0, and vbulletin 2.3.0

cPanel.net Support Ticket Number:

13. cPanelNick

cPanelNick Administrator
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Try recompiling php with the use system mysql option in easy/buildapache.

cPanel.net Support Ticket Number: