The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OK, FreeBSD is not ready for production.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by carock, Apr 30, 2003.

1. carock

carock Well-Known Member

FreeBSD is not ready for production.

I am REALLY disappointed with the FreeBSD version of Cpanel/WHM

I was hoping this would make my life easier since I have been administrating FreeBSD servers for 5 plus years. Learning the quirky differences between FreeBSD and RedHat has been crazy, and just proves to me that I am better at FreeBSD administration.

What disappoints me so much about Cpanel/WHM FreeBSD version is that it takes most of the really stupid quirks of RedHat or Linux, and forces FreeBSD to work with it, or not, in my case.

Since there's no FreeBSD specific installation guide, I'm just going to assume that the programmers responsible for creating the FreeBSD version just don't know any better.

I really don't want to pay $1400 for a piece of software that doesn't work, so I'm going to ditch your FreeBSD version and go with RedHat.

I am available for some Q&A and helping with the documentation if that's what's needed. With what's available to us as a customer of your product, there's no way I can see that the FreeBSD version would ever work. Either I'm missing some very important information, or you guys have wasted a LOT of time trying to make FreeBSD work like Linux.

My 2 cents.

#1 carock, Apr 30, 2003
    Last edited: May 1, 2003
  2. beachtrader

beachtrader Active Member

I seem to be having a lot more problems with the FreeBSD version as well.

I have both a Redhat 7.3 version and FreeBSD 4.7 version and I never seem to have any problems with Linux but do with FreeBSD.

3. carock

carock Well-Known Member

Whew. For a while there I thought I was the only person having issues meaning I was doing something wrong or had some bad hardware to deal with.

I think I was just so upset because I was very excited about having this awesome program on my favorite O/S.

I had finally got mine working, but ever since I found that missing piece of install information, I am going to wipe it out and start over with the new install instructions.

Documenting a few O/S install specifics would be nice too. Something like compiling Quotas into the kernel, make sure you install Compat 22 and 3x libraries, etc.

I'll let the list know if my new install works any better. I REALLY wish Cpanel used global variables for things like config file & program file path's. It would be so easy to change where files are located without trying to edit a bunch of scripts, or modifying the programs to use different directories. (hint, hint)

Chuck

4. beachtrader

I got cPanel installed but the problems I have are minor functionality issues like it won't show IP usage; branding doesn't work; can't change whm themes for resellers, etc. I have tickets open but no word yet.

5. carock

carock Well-Known Member

I finally gave up this weekend. I followed the install instructions, and used FreeBSD 4.7.

A coulpe of things I didi before I started the install was this...

I recompiled the kernel to turn on quotas and the IP Firewall code.

I edited the /etc/fstab to turn on quotas as well, and tested them.

I installed Bind 9.2.2 and got it working first with rndc. I also copied it's binaries to /usr/sbin so Cpanel would stop trying to start Bind 8

I could not figure out how to get my install's to boot when making /boot a separate partition so I stopped trying to do that.

I downloaded the FreeBSD 4.7 installer and ran it. I didn't notice too many install errors, but I didn't watch too closely.

The installer for some reason did not install MySQL.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------
    The first time I tried installing Cpanel, I installed it on FreeBSD 4.8

I had better luck with that, and I also used the Linux install instructions because the Documentation link on Cpanel's home page doesn't have the asterisk to download the FreeBSD installer instead.

That installer did install MySQL, but to my disappointment, it was MySQL 4 which I don't believe is ready for production machines yet. At least on FreeBSD. Using the WHM setup, I switched to MySQL 3 using those instructions, and it seemed to work fine.

I still had to "massage" Bind to get the scripts to work for restarting. I was able to get them working.

One problem I noticed with Cpanel is that it runs Bind in a sandbox with a user as bind. There are VERY specific instructions for making this work on FreeBSD at their homepage in the handbook online. Even after following those instructions, I could not get Bind to run in the sandbox. Could be an issue with me though ;-)

At any rate, since I don't have access to most of the Cpanel scripts to fix problems with the FreeBSd version, there is NO WAY Iwould try to use this in production with paying customers.

For those of you that admin FreeBSD boxes, one of it's best features is it's use of "standard" config directories. Every FreeBSD box uses /usr/local/etc /etc for config files, Bind always is in /etc/namedb both config and zone files. There are many many things like this that makes FreeBSD easier to admin as a server than Linux. Cpanel/WHM goes out of it's way to move these things around. Since the only benefit of using FreeBSD over Linux is this "standardization" (we won't tlak about the guts of the O/S's), Cpanel/WHM makes this point moot.

If anyone has had a FreeBSD install go as smoothly as Linux, and trusts it's operation and upgrades to support 200+ paying wesites, please let me know this is possible without sending hours fixing it.

Thanks,
    Chuck

6. Zac2003

Zac2003 Registered

yea we just got a sever today with cpanel/whm and its freebsd and it does'nt have mysql or apache running on it too boot and i can't find mysql so obviously it did'nt instal that either :(

maybe going to switch to redhat 7.3 or goto plesk on freebsd :(

7. SilenceGold

SilenceGold Member

I have Cpanel running on FreeBSD. It did take me a while to modify some of the scripts to get it working properly. I will be willing to work for cpanel to get it working better on FreeBSD but not as a voluteer job.

For example, there's a cpanel backend script that incorrectly sets /home/username/etc group ownership to mail instead of mailnull.

I thought the simple solution was to add mail to the group of mailnull but it didn't work. So I changed the cpanel's script to be using mailnull instead of leaving it at mail so whoever gets added would be having their etc folder with the proper permission ownership.

I think it is stupid for a linux script to be exported into FreeBSD without taking in considerations of FreeBSD's structure.

I won't give up FreeBSD to go to linux which I still haven't touched..hehe

8. Darkedge

Darkedge Active Member

Hrm

I am running a reseller only box on freebsd with minor to no problems. I didn;t do a huge amount of fixes but some things liek bind and such i just wrote my own basic script s and such to get it to restart and so on. The major problem I had was that apache and fdsetsize problem. I have to run seans buildapache for it to work correctly. I have put hours of time into the machine but I am happy with its stability now.

9. Blue Optic

Blue Optic Member

A ton of stuff was messed up when I first installed it...and I had never touched FreeBSD or CPanel :D

Ended up installing Bind9 (odd others did too...I'm a genius! :))...have had to edit a few scripts as well...don't really know scripting, but just found that some of the scripts called things that didn't exist--they were using the wrong path name..

Usual problems such as branding, etc..don't work--but I'm still attempting (or will be) to use as production machine (not for resellers though) ...machine itself is stable, but CPanel just sucks on it...

I went w/FreeBSD because everyone said it was great...and it does seem to be very stable...memory/cpu wise it runs about 30x more efficiently than my Ensim/Redhat box (which I'm not converting to CPanel/RedHat)...

Wish whoever the f*ck is in charge would start giving more attention to FreeBSD...think they'd pull in another crowd if it was STABLE

10. sitehostz

sitehostz Well-Known Member

Hello,
    You have to remember that some of the features found in the WHM only work on RedHat servers. So going with FreeBSD takes away those extra features like installing RPM's, System upgrades I think and more.

We put cpanel on a new FreeBSD server and had nothing but problems as well and thats is when we noticed the lack of fuctionality. SO we went on to RedHat 7.3 and all is now well again.

Regards,
    Chris

11. beachtrader

I don't think anyone in this thread believes they expected rpms or anything specifically linux to work on a freebsd machine. The main problems have been the core features of cpanel failing to work with the freebsd environment. For example unless I run the latest edge build of cpanel clients can't change their whm theme at all. The stable version does not allow them to do so. This one example clearly has nothing to do with linux or freebsd but is a core feature of cpanel.

12. X-Istencedotcom

X-Istencedotcom Well-Known Member

Sorry to bring up a dead thread.

But i myself have had a lot of trouble on FreeBSD as well.

The instead of RPM now use the ports tree to compile from source, so that issue is gone away.

But certain stuff juts didnt work right, or was broken at the time.

13. jdawes

jdawes Well-Known Member

freebsd

ive had my freebsd box running a for a few months now. seems stable and reliable, hosts about 100 domains. there were some teething problems. such as mysql not being installed by default. its annoying that memory usage always shows 100% but thats a known bug. the ports thing seems to work ok. i couldnt get postgres to install, that tickets pending with cpanel devs. trying to install jboss/jdk get gd to compile into php properly and a few other small issues but in general its going pretty well. i havent had a redhat box with cpanel, perhaps it would be easier. all software has bugs such i think its great that it works as well as it does and once i have pg and jboss running ill be cheering.

14. carock

carock Well-Known Member

Thanks for the information.

Thanks for posting your experience. I still am hoping to be able to use the FreeBSD version for our next license. We currently have two RedHat boxes running Cpanel, and they are AWESOME!!!

If I could get the FreeBSD version to do all the things the RedHat version does, I could die a happy admin.

If you want something to compare... When there's a security patch for the O/S, I just click a few links, and Cpanel get's the updates and installs them. Never had a bad thing happen with that. If there's an update to Cpanel, I click a few links, and it upgrades. I have pages to do things like add, suspend, delete and upgrade accounts tied into our billing system.

We think Cpanel has saved us thousands of man-hours in r&d and normal administration by doing the things we always wished we could make happen on our other boxes, but never had the time to get them all working.

Also I believe it has helped me become a better server admin. Now I see how things should be configured, and should work. We're going to use Cpanel everywhere we can.

We have OS-X servers waiting, I'm dying to see a version for Windows Server, etc.

Chuck