The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ok i really messed up need help with DNS

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by lexmark, Mar 7, 2004.

1. lexmark

lexmark Well-Known Member

Hello, ok here is the thing. I host a few websites and used to pay someone to administer my site, but he began ignoring my emails and not help me with major problems so now I have decided to learn everything on my own. However I have a problem, with DNS now. I hope I am explaining this right since I am new to this. For a while my nameservers were (Ill use mysite as an example) NS1.MYSITE.COM and NS2.MYSITE.COM for some reason when I switched over to another server the nameservers changed to DNS1.MYSITE.COM and DNS2.MYSITE.COM. I was told by the person who set this up and doesnt want to help me anymore to change the nameservers from DNs1 and 2 back to NS1 and 2.

So I did that and my site went down, so I assumed it was because of the change and I quicklk changed it back to DNS1.MYSITE.COM and DNS2.MYSITE.COM. The thing is now my site is online but the domains that I host are not online, if I type in their domain name their site wont appear as if their domain doesnt exist, it goes straight to msn search.

I use dotster, what exactly do I need to do to get this to work again? Please tell me step by step, what I need to adjust in WHM or in dotster. Thanks

2. Steve-PWH

Steve-PWH Well-Known Member

When was they changed?

Are the other domains pointing at NS1.MYSITE.COM , NS2.MYSITE.com

if ur site points to DNS1.SITE.COM and u change nameservers to NS1.SITE.COM your site will go down untill u changed the domain nameservers

3. Steve-PWH

BTW changing Nameservers will have downtime / delay upto 48 hours while the DNS servers around world update

4. lexmark

Yes, the other domains are pointing at NS1.MYSITE.COM and NS2.MYSITE.COM. I am doing research and found this info, ok in my WHM when I click on Manage Nameserver IPs it displays this:
    (mysite is an example)

66.98.188.203 DNS2.MYSITE.COM
    66.98.188.204 NS1.MYSITE.COM
    66.98.188.205 NS2.MYSITE.COM
    66.98.188.81 DNS1.MYSITE.COM

Then I did a traceroute on the domains that no longer are showing up and they say this:

Domain servers in listed order:
    NS1.MYSITE.COM 66.98.188.204
    NS2.MYSITE.COM 66.98.188.205

So do I have to login into dotster, click on Register Name Server, and type in NS1 and the IP address, and NS2 and IP address again for it to show up?

5. Steve-PWH

Which nameservers are registered to the domain u using for the nameservers?

6. lexmark

Currently the DNS1 and DNS2.MYsite.com, see here is what happened. The guy who set this up for me told me that I should change my nameservers from DNS1 and DNS2 back to NS1 and NS2. So I did that, and everything seemed ok. Then an amazing conicidence is that the dns server on my server went down, so I thought it was because of my change so I changed it back to DNS1 and DNS2 on my main domain. Now the other domains on my server that are registered to customers are not working. So should I change it to NS1.mysite.com and Ns2.mysite.com, and click on register domains, type in NS1.mysite.com and the IP address listed in WHM for that nameserver, and the same for the Ns2 as well? Or would that make matters worse?

7. Steve-PWH

U need

All domains pointing to

NS1.URSITE.COM
    NS2.URSITE.COM

Namerservers setup in WHM for

NS1.URSITE.COM
    NS2.URSITE.COM

And on the domain URSITE.COM

NS1.URSITE.COM
    NS2.URSITE.COM

Registered as nameservers of that domain

8. lexmark

Yes, so I need to login to dotster and change my main domain back to Ns1.MYSITE.COM and NS2.MYSITE.COM, and input the IP addresses to those nameservers again? Also, when I log into WHM, I get a pop up saying:

The server was unable to lookup an an A entry for its hostname (family.mysite.com). This is generally because the entry was never added. However this could also be the result of your nameserver(s) being down. If you would like to attempt to automaticlly add the entry

Then I click "click here" button, and it says:

Found your hostname to be: family.mysite.com
    Found your short hostname to be: family
    Found your domain name to be: mysite.com
    Found your main ip to be: 66.98.188.81
    If this looks correct,

Then I click add this entry, but that message will still appear when I log out and back into WHM. If changing the nameservers at doster this will be fixed?

9. Steve-PWH

What nameservers u got setup under 'edit setup' in WHM?

10. lexmark

It has the IP 66.98.188.81

Do I need to do anything to IP Functions? This is weird, all my websites are currently using the IP 66.98.188.81, however their nameservers are NS1.MYSITE.COM and NS2.MYSITE.com. I dont understand how they could be using the Dns1 nameserver if they are all assigned to NS1 and NS2 nameservers? Unless it is just that I dont understand how name servers work. I logged into dotster and changed my main domain nameservers to NS1 and NS2 MYSITE.com again, and entered the IP address displayed in WHM for those nameservers at dotster. I suppose I wont know if it will work or not untill it propagates?

11. Steve-PWH

In WHM under 'edit setup' (first link at top)

What u have entered for

Primary Nameserver:

Secondary Nameserver:

12. lexmark

Primary is ns1.mysite.com and secondary is ns2.mysite.com

13. lexmark

So is everything set ok?

#13 lexmark, Mar 7, 2004
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2004
  14. Steve-PWH