The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ok, Weird

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by NeutralGold, May 26, 2003.

1. NeutralGold

NeutralGold Well-Known Member

Ok, I have created an addon domain on one of my domains, I own this server and cpanel, but with one of my personal sites I'm hosting, I've set this up for a friend. You should be able to create sub-domains for the addon domain correct? Well, this is what I've done.
    1st, I setup http://phoenix.domain.org
    2nd, I setup http://bmc.domain.org
    The domain hadn't resolved to my server yet so there wasn't a way to test right away, then after a couple of days, the domain started resolving and http://phoenix.domain.org just strait up does not resolve. http://bmc.domain.org resolves to his main page instead of the bmc page, which is the addon domain. I don't have these problems with real domains, I've checked all the zone records and they apear to be properly installed. I'm about to go nuts with this, I've never worked with addon domains really, so I figured I would do this guy a favor and give him a little free hosting so I can be prepaired if one of my paying clients ever run into any problems. So if any of you can give me any pointers or ideas on possible problems with this please let me know..

cPanel.net Support Ticket Number: Nothing submitted

2. Website Rob

Website Rob Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    An Add-on Domain is a Sub-domain -- with its own URL.
    (addon.domain.com or addon.com)

You cannot add Sub-domains to Sub-domains.
    (addon2.addon.domain.com)

cPanel.net Support Ticket Number:

3. NeutralGold

Thats true, if thats how it worked, but thats not necesarily how its working. I found something I missed last night on the forums, something about removing a wildcard entry that gets placed in httpd.conf when you create a sub-domain for an addon-domain. It looks like theres only that small little bug thats causing it not to work properly. Considering your answer of it parking a sub-domain on top of a sub-domain and what I've seen, thats not correct, The dns entry's I've looked at all say that to me, The addon-domain is pointed to the main domain, and then forwarded to the sub-domain, So from what I've seen, when you create a sub-domain for the addon-domain, its being created on the main domain, not the addon-domain, and just serves as a redirect to go to sub.addondomain.com.
    Your answer is wrong, because; After I removed the wildcard *.addondomain.com, and changed it to www.addondomain.com, the sub-domain works, hence you created another sub-domain for the addon-domain and having to do the same thing again. So, if that wildcard entry is fixed, then these will work.

4. Website Rob

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    You were the one that asked, "any pointers or ideas on possible problems with this please let me know".

My answer is not wrong, it is exactly correct. It describes the 'default' settings in WHM/Cpanel, when setting up Add-on Domains -- although I did neglect to mention that is was the default settings. Wildcard DNS can cause problems which is why, it requires a certain level of knowledge to change the defaults and work with them properly.

If you are going to ask for, "any pointers or ideas" on problems/questions you have, then complain when a reply is posted, well, it's easy to avoid that type of situation. In fact, I know exactly what I will do when I see more of yours in the future.

#4 Website Rob, May 27, 2003
    Last edited: May 27, 2003
  5. NeutralGold

Heh, I was in no way trying to get testy and complain with your answer, I "thought" I had figured out something and was trying to explain it back, and yes, I agree that you should avoid all post from me from now on if your attitude is going to be like that, Thanks for your first reply, I neglected to say that.. I'm sorry for that.

6. Website Rob

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Fair enough.

I know I get testy with some people, because, after taking the time & trouble to post a helpful reply (at least, I hope my replies are helpful), too often a complaint is made and/or most people can't even be bothered to say "Thanks".

You did and your Welcome, for whatever help I did provide.

Nice comeback BTW.

7. NeutralGold

Well, I really appreciate your help, honestly, I thought I figured out something and was just trying to explain what I saw, lol you can reply to any of my post, Thanks for helping in the first place...:D