Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

Old backups stuck in backup folder

Discussion in 'Data Protection' started by i-Strategi, Nov 8, 2018.

1. i-Strategi

i-Strategi Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Hey cPanel.

My server is set to backup accounts and system to Google Drive once a week in a 52 week cycle.
    I am not retaining backups in the default backup directory.
    Usually, this works the way it is designed to.

Only when i browsed around the server and randomly checked the backup folder, i noticed that it had a lot of backups in it going almost a year back. They aren't even empty but contains full backup files.

I then compared them to Google Drive and many of the backups stored on Google Drive was 0KB files.

It seems as if the backup was not complete properly (or all the files where not transferred correct), it keeps the file on the server - which in this case i am happy for.

But how do i move the files to Google Drive from here on? I don't want to download almost 2 TB of data and then re-upload them again, if i can do it in some other way.

Last weeks backup has run successfully and is removed from the server, just like it should.

Im suspecting there was an issue at the time with the Google Drive being full or something at the time these backups was not transferred.

2. cPanelLauren

cPanelLauren Forums Analyst II Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    HI @i-Strategi

The backup logs, as well as backup_transporter logs, should give you insight into why this isn't being completed as intended.

Backup Logs:

Code:
    /usr/local/cpanel/logs/cpbackup/
    Backup Transport Logs:

Code:
    /usr/local/cpanel/logs/cpbackup_transporter/

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. i-Strategi

i-Strategi Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Hi. I only have 2 cpbackup logs there (recent ones) and they both end with backup succesful.

I checked a cpbackup_transporter log and it ends with this:

[2018-10-14 02:16:24 +0200] info [cpbackup_transporter] cpbackup_transporter - Exiting - the queue has been emptied; no more work to do after waiting for 300s
    [2018-10-14 02:16:24 +0200] info [cpbackup_transporter] cPanel Backup Transporter Queue Daemon is being stopped.

Either way, how do i transfer the old backups that is still stored on my server, to Google Drive, without having to download them all manually and upload them?

4. cPanelLauren

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Hi @i-Strategi

The old logs wouldn't be able to be transferred to the remote destination since they won't be in the transporter queue. Since you note that there are no errors in the cpbackup_transporter logs can you also confirm the last couple of days backups are present on the google drive destination?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. i-Strategi

i-Strategi Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Hey Lauren,

Yes, the backups are there except from some old ones.

How do i transfer them to Google Drive?

6. cPanelLauren

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    So it sounds as though the Google Drive transport is working properly, that's good to hear!

The easiest way to get the old backups to the google drive at this juncture would be to just download them locally then upload them to your google drive.

Thanks!