The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Old features still in new cPanel that maybe should be removed?

Discussion in 'User Experience' started by Metro2, Dec 17, 2015.

1. Metro2

Metro2 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    There are a few old features still in cPanel that have been there since basically the beginning, and I think some of them maybe shouldn't even be there anymore.

For examples:

Advanced Guestbook
    Agora Shopping Cart
    CGI Center
    Counter
    Email Scripts (cgiemail,formmail)
    Entropy Banner
    Entropy Search
    Java Clock
    Java Countdown
    Random HTML Generator
    Simple Guestbook

Some of them are just useless, some of them are borderline security and/or resource issues. Some of them are so 1998 it's not even funny.

I disable them in the Feature Manager on every server of course, but I'm wondering if it wouldn't just make sense to for cPanel to just permanently ditch at least some of them.

Would it be difficult? Are any of those wasting valuable space and resources?

I'm not looking at this as some kind of priority issue... cPanel have much bigger fish to fry (get rid of Unlimited email quotas, give ability to hide Remote MySQL from within feature manager, prevent naive users from running full backups of massive accounts at will, migrate Addons to full accounts, etc...) but I can't help but wonder what some of the items listed above even still doing in cPanel as we approach 2016.

Main reason for starting this thread - I'm very interested to know other people's opinions about this.

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
  3. sparek-3

sparek-3 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    While I think it's a good idea to remove some of these antiquated features completely, but I also think it's a good idea to hide root's disabled features from resellers.

Resellers with a WHM are the only ones that can see the list of available features anyway. Currently when a reseller goes to edit or create a new feature set, they see ALL of the features including the ones that are marked as disabled by the "disabled" feature list. Which causes some reasons to ask "why can't I enable this such-n-such feature"? Since resellers can't enable those features anyway, why even show them? Why not just hide the "disabled" features from reseller's feature manager?

This way, the root user can disable all of these antiquated features and never have to worry about resellers inquiring about them.

Metro2 likes this.
  4. Metro2

Metro2 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Thank you for the reply cPanelMichael. Yes, I'm using Paper Lantern on all new accounts and I've set most existing accounts to Paper Lantern, but after receiving general feedback (and a few complaints about it) from my customers I've allowed them the option to switch back to X3.

Questions - I understand that some of those features are removed from the Paper Lantern theme, but I'm curious to know why they're still in the Feature Manager and enabled in Default. Is there a particular reason for that? Do you have plans to actually remove any of those outdated features from the cPanel install completely?

Thanks again for your response, I appreciate it.

5. Metro2

Metro2 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    One more question, and I apologize if this is covered somewhere and I'm just unable to find it - is there a way to remove the X3 theme in WHM now permanently so that users who prefer X3 will get accustomed to scrolling down to the "Change Style" function to set their theme to "Retro" ?

Thanks again for any answers to the above questions.

6. cPanelAdamF

cPanelAdamF cPanel Product Owner
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Twitter:
    We kept the checkboxes for the features that are not included in the Paper Lantern theme because they remain available in the X3 theme. Without those checkboxes, customers who still use the X3 theme would not have the means of enabling/disabling those features.

They will certainly be removed when we fully deprecate and remove X3.

To prevent customers from switching back to X3, you can always uncheck (or disable) the 'Change Theme' feature in the Feature Manager for their feature list and that will lock them onto whatever their current theme setting is.

Metro2 likes this.
  7. Metro2

Metro2 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Great, thank you!!