The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

One account cannot receive mail

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by uneedawebsite, Jul 23, 2007.

1. uneedawebsite

uneedawebsite Active Member

Here's my problem:

I have a domain that has the default mailbox, a POP3 account and several forwarders.

All of the forwarders point to the POP3 account and all can receive mail properly.

However, mail sent directly to the POP3 account's address comes back as user unknown.

I have be tearing my hair out trying to figure this one out. How is it possible that the same account can receive forwarded mail just fine but not mail addressed directly to it?

Any help will be appreciated.

Mark

2. nyjimbo

nyjimbo Well-Known Member

If the pop3 account is NOT the main/default account, can you try to delete it and recreate it ?. I know it doesnt help figure out the problem but if deleting the pop3 and recreating it fixes the problem them something was most likely corrupted. If it doesnt fix the problem then you might have some weird forwarding logic or something else, not related to the pop3 account directly.

We had a problem where a customer could not login to an account. I did everything I could but I couldnt figure out what was wrong. I said "f-ck it" and deleted the pop3, recreated it and it was fixed.

Just like in the old mainframe days when we had 12 hours of batch processing to do in an 8 hour period and something was screwy with a server we would boot it and it would clear up. The CE's hated us for doing it but it got us back up and running without losing more time.

3. uneedawebsite

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, we did try deleting the POP3 account and re-creating it. Same problem though.

I am close to deleting his whole account and re-creating that, but I would rather figure out what is causing the email problem.

Mark

4. mtindor

mtindor Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I guess one of the things I would be wondering is if you are using very recent Cpanel or if it's older Cpanel, etc. These days, when you create a domain in Cpanel there is no 'default' email address. On older versions of cpanel, if you created an account called 'billybob' for the domain 'billybob.com' you would have a 'default' email user called 'billybob'. And you would log into that account to retrieve it's mail using only the username/password (not the full email address/password). And on those systems you could always create an actual non-default POP3 account by the same name which would actually accept all the email once it was created.

I'm wondering if somehow during some updates things didn't happen as they should. When you look in Cpanel at the mail accounts, does it show just 'username' as the mail account or does it show 'username@domain' as the mail account? If it just shows 'username' as the mail account, then you should actually set up a POP3 account that is the full email address. Although I'm guessing that if you deleted/recreated the account, then it must have been a username@domain account.

i'm just trying to think out loud regarding this. It's difficult to give an answer if one doesn't have access to look at things. What you describe certainly does not make any sense. I have never seen a case where forwarded email to a POP3 account was accepted by the POP3 account but directly delivered mail to that POP3 account failed with the the user not existing.

I would go and make sure there are no domain-wide or user-specific email filters in place anywhere on that domain that could potentially be causing directly delivered email to be rejected. Make sure you don't have any forwarders set up with the same name as that POP3 address too.

Mike

5. uneedawebsite

The version of CPanel I am running is WHM 11.2.0 cPanel 11.6.0-R15076.

This should be the latest RELEASE version.

When I created the account (just a few days ago, so it was on this version), it created a default mailbox for the username associated with the account.

Then, the client created the POP3 mailbox of user@domain.com and the forwarders.

Originally, he had created both a POP3 and a forwarder for the same mailbox, so I deleted all of the forwarders and the POP3 box and started over from scratch.

I have never seen this kind of problem before either, which is why it has me so baffled. I can't figure out how the account could have this behavior.

Mark

6. mtindor

mtindor Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator

I didn't test this just now to guarantee the result, but I'm thinking that any new account created in Cpanel isn't supposed to create a default email account, username or username@domain.ext. There should be nothing under 'Mail Accounts' on any new account created on Cpanel. And assuming that is a true statement, then that's a problem that you have a 'username' POP3 account. In the past, you did not have the option to delete a 'username' default POP3 account in Cpanel. I'm not sure if you can do that now either.

That is indeed puzzling.

Assuming you still have a 'username' default POP3 account in cpanel, you may want to try this:

1. Remove POP3 account 'username@domain' so that there are no POP3 accounts that reference the username associated with the Cpanel account.
    2. then try to send mail to username@domain' and see if it ends up in /home/username/mail/new folder or if it ends up getting rejected because of nonexistent user.
    3. Send mail to one of the forwarders that goes to username@domain' and see if it ends up in /home/username/mail/new folder or gets rejected.

Just wondering if it behaves any differently in that circumstance.

Mike

7. helpline

helpline Guest

fixed it

I had the similar problem, and managed to fix it by adding following entry in

/etc/valiases/domain.com

*: username

I hope it helps someone :)

8. uneedawebsite

Well, the POP3 mailbox does not have the same name as the CPanel account name. For example, the CPanel account name might be astrocom and the POP3 mailbox that is having trouble is chris@astro.com.

I have confirmed that mail sent to chris@astro.com does not go into the chris mailbox folder or the astrocom folder. But mail sent to support@astro.com is going to the chris mailbox folder as it should.

Obviously, those aren't the real domain and account names.

Mark

9. uneedawebsite

Thanks for the reply, helpline. I don't think that would help me because we are not trying to make this mailbox the default. If I am correct, what you put there sends all the mail that isn't specified to go elsewhere into the username mailbox.

Mark

10. capoinfra

capoinfra Well-Known Member

how to remove default mailbox?

I'am running the latest cPanel.

Some days ago, I restored a fullbackup with an account from older cPanel version.

This account have a "default mailbox created" domain@domain.com and this mailbox can't be deleted or modified from the cpanel. (there is no options for that)

Via ssh, i navigate to /home/domain/mail and there is NO directory for domain@domain account, for that reason I can not delete it.

The problem is, the customer need to use domain@domain.com account and configure it with his mail client (Outlook) but there is no way to login, because FTP domain password doesn't works (cPanel help says: the password for domain@domain account is the same as FTP password)

My intention is delete the default mailbox and recreate it, in order to configure pop access properly.

Note: IS possible access to this account via webmail, with FTP site password. This mailbox is not full.

Any suggestions please?