Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

One Domain Name, Two VPS

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by Johnny Wilson, Mar 16, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Johnny Wilson

Johnny Wilson Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    This might be a simple question, but something I'm really new to and that's clustering. I'll give my current setup below. I have many sites, but two VPS because one site is large and would degrade other sites. They honestly didn't need as many resources either. But my "umbrella company" is ftlp llc so I use that domain for both servers. See below.

VPS 1

server.domain.tld
    ns1.domain.tld
    ns2.domain.tld

VPS 2

server2.domain.tld
    ns3.domain.tld
    ns4.domain.tld

I like them having that "branding" of the domain and honestly, I don't use email servers at all and these are flat out just for sites both of them. I'm very new and just literally found out about clustering, so I'm just curious if doing that is worth my time? I'm reformatting both right now to get a bit of NGINX optimization and figured it's a good time to approach this, but I am not a DNS expert, certainly would be nice to put these two in some sort of relation though.

Anyway, basic question, am I right to just keep this simple or is there a better way to make this set up a little more fluid? (also, I won't lie, I might need a little hand holding) ;)

#1 Johnny Wilson, Mar 16, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 16, 2017
  2. Johnny Wilson

Johnny Wilson Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Forgot to add I host all domain names on Cloudflare, not sure if that's of importance or not.

3. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

Generally, with DNS clustering, you'd want to setup an additional server or two and install cPanel DNS-Only for the purpose of DNS hosting. You'd then link your hosting servers to the DNS-Only servers as part of the cluster configuration:

Guide to DNS Cluster Configurations - cPanel Knowledge Base - cPanel Documentation

Thus, the setup would look like this:

server.domain.tld - cPanel Installation
    server2.domain.tld - cPanel Installation

VPS 3 - cPanel DNS-Only Installation
    Name servers: ns1.domain.tld

VPS 4 - cPanel DNS-Only Installation
    Name servers: ns2.domain.tld

This would allow you to set the name servers for any domain name on either server to NS1/NS2.domain.tld.

Thank you.

4. Johnny Wilson

Johnny Wilson Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Okay, so if I'm understanding, there is really no need in my setup? I honestly just have the two VPS and not looking to add another right now for something I don't fully understand as of yet (late night reading will be the next few nights) but I guess the question is, my current setup works and hasn't given me trouble, so maybe just stick with what I have?

5. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

DNS clustering is not required. It adds some redundancy in the event your servers fail and you need to quickly point your domain names to another server. Here's the quote from our documentation that explains the potential benefit of using a DNS cluster:

Thank you.

6. Johnny Wilson

Johnny Wilson Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Understood, I'll revisit this at a later time then. Been fairly lucky for some time with quality of "uptime". Thank you for the quick explanation.

J

cPanelMichael likes this.