The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

One domain, two servers (one for mail one for web), same dns cluster

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by tui, Mar 9, 2016.

1. tui

tui Active Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello all,

I have one client that has a lot of sites/domains hosted with us in one cPanel account (not reseller, he dont need whm because he manage everything of its clients), one of his clients (lets call domain.com) has his website with him (with us in his cpanel account) and the mails are in another server with another provider so the web is loaded from us and the mail is with another provider, the domain is pointing to our dns's (we modified the mx records and the a record for mail.domain.com to point to his account with his old provider).

We have a dns cluster between 4 dns-only servers and all our hosting servers are clustered to them.

His client wants to move the mails to us but he wants to have access to cPanel to create and manage its mails accounts. As my client only have 1 cPanel account with all the domains, he cannot give him access to this cPanel account and he cannot give him access to the website files because its a wordpress multisite instance.

So i was thinking to create a cPanel account in another server (or in the same server) only for mail and modify the a record of mail.domain.com and mx records to point to this server/account and in this way, my client has the control of the website and his client has the control of his mails accounts, the problem i see is that all my servers are clustered to my dns cluster, i know that i cannot create an account for a domain that already exist on dns cluster.... so the question is... how can i create an account for domain.com on another server that is on the same dns cluster to use it only for the mails account?

Another question... what if in future i want to have servers only for websites and servers only for mails but all on my same dns cluster? Does Whm has a option to achieve this? is the same case as above, you need to create account for domain.com in both servers (one for website and one for mail) on the same dns cluster. I see much benefit in doing this like less server load for websites servers and a large etc.

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

You can remove this domain name from the existing account, and use it when creating a new account on the same cPanel server. Then, simply configure the MX records again, and ensure the new account is assigned "Mail Only" feature set:

Feature Manager - Documentation - cPanel Documentation

Note: This assumes the website files for this domain name are handled on a server outside of your DNS cluster. If that's not the case, then you can't configure two domain names on the same DNS cluster.

We have an active feature request open for this at:

Mail Only version of cPanel & WHM

Thank you.

3. tui

tui Active Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Well, that was my question, thats not the case, i need to put the domain in two servers in the same dns cluster, one for web and one for mail... Is it really not possible to do this? I do not think being the only person in the world who try to do this or that nobody has done it before

4. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    There's a workaround discussed on the following thread:

How to create new cpanel account if DNS already exists in DNS-Only cluster?

Thank you.