The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

One email account failing authentication with Outlook

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by dansgalaxy, Apr 2, 2011.

1. dansgalaxy

dansgalaxy Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Apologies for hijacking the thread..

Having a similar problem too.

Recently migrated a load of accounts to a new server, most seem to be functioning correctly, except 1 account.

It fails authentication when using outlook, but webmail logs in fine.

After tailing logs I noticed something odd

Looking at the logs it appears the other records have the users IP for rip & server ip for lip.

What might cause this?

2. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello dansgalaxy,

I've moved the post to its own thread as the error message differs substantially from the prior discussion.

As for the current issue, have you tried changing the password to see if that might fix the issue for Outlook? Have you tried another computer using Outlook to see if it's isolated to that computer's connection in Outlook to the account.

Also, by failing authentication, would it be possible to provide the full error message for Outlook? The full error message is typically helpful in tracking down the issue.

Finally, I am hard pressed to believe the log entry provided would be the Outlook login for the reason it has localhost's IP, which is a webmail login. Also, it isn't showing a failed login. Are you certain this is the actual log entry for the attempt to log in by Outlook email client? It isn't possible for Outlook to connect using localhost IP (127.0.0.1), while webmail would look just like this (and it would not show any login errors if webmail is working).

Thanks!