The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

One million and five problems!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mediacatch, May 10, 2004.

1. mediacatch

mediacatch Member

Unfortunately, using CPanel as our primary control panel software was a very bad investment. All of the consistant open bugs have caused us to loose a lot of time and money.
    Paying for technicians to fix recurring problems, paying for bandwidth overage that CPanel never logs (users get away with), and waisting a lot of time rebooting services because of the way CPanel works.

I have worked with control panel systems in the past, and have never had problems like I do with CPanel.
    You keep updating the program with new features and fixes, but everytime you do that, 5 more problems suddenly appear!

Does anyone know of a solution to fix these problems? Maybe a more secure overlayer/theme, the most stable version, etc?

My next question is for CPanel: When are you going to stop adding new features and simply fix all the open bugs you have before adding something new! I am sure most of you would agree when I say that we all just want a stable release!!!!

Thanks! :)

2. casey

casey Well-Known Member

10 lines and no mention of a specific problem or bug. How is anyone, including cpanel, going to help you with that?

3. mediacatch

mediacatch Member

The thread was not to find an answer to a specific bug with CPanel. The question was to address a general problem with the software and to ask everyone 2 questions which I made clear in the final 2 paragraphs of the thread.

4. mediacatch

mediacatch Member

Furthermore, there are too many problems to list. I would waist even more time making them public in the forums. My question is simply when they will release something stable. To my knowledge, I haven't seen a version that was for the most part bug-free.

I completely understand that all programs/software have bugs. It is a part of the field. However, I have never seen so many problems with a single program package or even in any other control panel system.

Think of it this way, Microsoft's Windows only releases a new version every 3-5 years. Why? Because they run thousands of tests to make it as stable as possible. They also critique every possible feature that will be included in the new versions. I am sure they could make millions $ more if they kept updating their software (versions) with new features every month. However, they rather keep a good reputation with stability and keep customers happy rather than adding a new version with new features and even newer bugs!

5. casey

casey Well-Known Member

1)What problems?
    2)More secure theme than what?

6. casey

casey Well-Known Member

A general problem with the software? You haven't given any examples and yet you insist there are millions of bugs. I have been on cpanel for 2 years now and have not had a single bug that was not fixed within a few hours or days at the most.

7. qbert1987

qbert1987 Well-Known Member

Mind if i ask what your updateing it too. because to my understanding theres like a beta one witch is a bit buggy, a standerd one witch is normaly good and a older one witch is allmost bug free but a bit behind in the jist of things. why dont you just do it to the old one? i never had a problem with that. and i only hade one or two problems with the stable releace ever.

8. kris1351

kris1351 Well-Known Member

You shouldn't be running beta and edge on production systems. If you are having that many issues then you have a mis-configured system and that is not CPanel's issue. You have spent a lot of time on this thread bashing CPanel, but you have yet to give us one specific issue.

Do some searching here, some research on the manuals and learn the product you are bashing. It will probably help you fix your configurations.

9. mediacatch

mediacatch Member

Thank you for all of the replies. :)

My intent for this thread was not to get a specific bug or issue resolved. Like I said, I honestly have to many to list, and I do not have time to sort through the forums. The intent of my thread was to raise awareness to CPanel and ask them and the users here a simple question in regards to the stability of the product.
    I have heard the same problems from several other people and companies who use/or distribute CPanel, so I know I am not speaking soley for myself. I am not also trying to "bash" them in a meaningless way. I am looking for a solution to increase the stability of this product. Unfortunately, it has caused me nothing but a lot of frustration and money.

Thanks again.

10. dave9000

dave9000 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Just for what its worth. I have been running cpanel for a long time and have had almost no problems. I make a point to run redhat linux on dual athlon MP processors and either tyan or asus MB and issues have been close to none.

I have never had a update break anything with the exception of the FP update a yr ago.

Everything I am picking up suggests that linux and p4 intel chips are not totally compatiable.

Just my opinion backed with time tested results

11. mediacatch

mediacatch Member

dave9000: Thanks for your reply.
    Out of curiousity, how many users do you have in WHM/CPanel?

12. richy

richy Well-Known Member

Same here - we've got a couple of thousand Cpanel users and we haven't had a major problem (touch wood) yet. Ok - there's small problems occasionally, but nothing really I could say "This is definetly Cpanel's fault". Don't forget that the Cpanel/WHM software isn't just by Cpanel Inc...

Can you at least list SOME of the problems you're having...

13. mediacatch

mediacatch Member

Sure, here are some:

1- Quotas are corrupt and are consistantly going corrupt every other week. Sure, run /fixquotas, but that is only a temporary fix.

2- Bandwidth is not properly being logged. MRTG tells me I have used over 1,000GIG, but WHM tells me I have used just under 450GIG. That is no where near the 97% they claim. Therefore, I am loosing money because bandwidth that is being used is not being counted for on to a users account.

3- StyleSheets are always throwing errors when a user refreshes a page inside CPanel or WHM.

4- Main username will not work for the POP3 account. It works 1 minute, then throws an error the next.

There are several problems that I will not list since we already had (our own) technician go through and patch up for us. Things that were bugs in the actual release, but fixed by us.

14. richy

richy Well-Known Member

Ok:

True - I've noticed this myself - but I actually think this is more down to Linux than Cpanel. I've seen the same problem on Ensim based boxes (more frequently than on Cpanel IIRC!)

WHM only monitors certain ports: have you got all unneeded ports firewalled? Somebody could be running a BitTorrent server on your machine which won't be monitored by WHM...

I've never seen this - which "Theme" and which browser?

Never seen this myself, but I don't use the "main username" bit much...

15. dave9000

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    what OS and what kind of hardware you running this on ?

16. dave9000

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    i tend to agree with that

but on a different note whats your opinion of the amd vs the p4 on linux ?

17. kris1351

kris1351 Well-Known Member

We have a combo of AMD and P4 servers and have relatively no problems. We switched from Ensim to Cpanel last May and I wouldn't go back. While Ensim was a great product I believe Cpanel offers much more. As for the errors you explained those are misconfiguration errors except for the fixquotas. You are getting that most likely from going to edge, from current or release. Seems it happens mostly when you go from one release to another. Only rarely do we see the quotas go bad from a normal update.

When you click the View Bandwidth there is a big text statement at the top of the screen that says it may not be acccurate. It only monitors http traffic and email. If you are using pure-ftpd you will not see any of that and that is why your Bandmin and MRTG logs show more. The versions of pure-ftpd have not allowed for tracking from Cpanel in the past is how I understood it. Switch to the other version or keep track of your users ftp useage.

Seems like Phantom pegged a lot of your problems.

18. netwrkr

netwrkr Well-Known Member

huh? Linux and p4 Intel chips not toally compatiable?

thats crazy talk!

19. dave9000

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    not crazy at all

there are known issues with xeon chips,hyperthreading and linux kernels

and on the ide controller chips there is a issue with some chipsets where only one channel can be active at any time

which is not a problem as long as the driver is coded to take this into account. windows apps and microshit get this info and specs on how to go around it

open source like linux does not always get the needed info.

so there are some compatiability issues for some platforms under certain conditions

ibm,microsoft and the other huge companies will get the needed info

a group of open source programmers probably will not and they will have to do their best to reverese engineer it which may or may not cover everything

20. Website Rob

Website Rob Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    mediacatch, although you bring up a valid point, most of us have been using WHM/Cpanel for so long we've gotten used to our work arounds. ;)

Yes, there are problems but that can be said of any Control Panel. As a new user you first have the learning curve of figuring out WHM/Cpanel while at the same time, learning what works and what doesn't. And we've all complained/advised DarkOrb of the bad Documentation.

The fact remains, though, either use the Control Panel and find help with problems you cannot fix/understand or move on to another Control Panel and deal with the problems it has.