The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

One or more immutable files are preventing cPanel and WHM from updating on your...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bdzzld, May 31, 2011.

1. Bdzzld

Bdzzld Well-Known Member

Hello,

We've received the following message on three of our cPanel servers :

Please note: This refers to completely different files than mentioned in the other post about this subject.

Please advise.

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Re: One or more immutable files are preventing cPanel and WHM from updating on your..

Hello :)

The listed files are different, however the same principle applies here. These files should not be immutable. You can remove the immutable attribute via the following command:

Code:
    chattr -V -i /path/to/file
    Thank you.

3. Bdzzld

Bdzzld Well-Known Member

Re: One or more immutable files are preventing cPanel and WHM from updating on your..

Hi CpanelMichael,

I do understand how the problem can be solved, but the other post refers to ASSP as being the product that changed the attribute. As this is not installed on our servers, something else should be the product/script (or whatever) this time. Maybe this can be looked at by cPanel?

4. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator

The files listed in the message you provided are not set immutable by cPanel & WHM. The immutable attribute would have been set manually, or by a third-party application/plugin.

You can use the following command to determine when a file was last modified:

Code:
    # stat /path/to/file
    This may be helpful in determining when the immutable attribute was applied.

If you would like us to take a look, feel free to open a support ticket via:

Submit A Ticket

Thank you.

5. SoftDux

SoftDux Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
  6. Bdzzld

Bdzzld Well-Known Member

Thanks for responding SoftDux, but I was aware of it, as the link's also included in my first post.

7. SoftDux

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator

well, i merely pointed the other thread cause the solution in that thread could very well be similar to your problem. ASSP in that case caused the problem.

What 3rd party scripts do you have, or what custom modifications have you made? Those are all CGI scripts, which makes me thing something like Installatron or another 3rd party script installer which you're using could cause the problem.

8. Bdzzld

Bdzzld Well-Known Member

The files were last altered somewhere in 2007. Ages ago in computer life time.
    We're only running CSF/LFD and Fantastico which are not by cPanel. Don't think either of them could have changed the bit.

9. SoftDux

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator

Why not? Fantastico is a script installer, isn't it? Have you considered the possibilities?

CSF doesn't change those files though. We use CSF on all our servers and I haven't seen those files changed, only the ones listed in my other thread.

10. Bdzzld

Bdzzld Well-Known Member

Simple. Ony some of our servers reported this problem and all of them have Fantastico installed.
    If I recall correctly the attribute was set due to a vulnerabilty in those files during that time.

11. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator

As the other thread mentions, the immutable file check does not actually stop the cPanel update itself. That update will still continue. Here is the quote from this location:

If you do not wish to make the files mutable, then the update is still going to proceed, only those set files will not be updated.

12. Sash

Sash Well-Known Member

Is there a way to disable this check?

13. Bdzzld

Bdzzld Well-Known Member

Why would you like to disable this check? (It will only run once every ten days according to the logs.)
    It may point you into the direction of files which may cause problems being updated by cPanel.

14. alpinist

alpinist Registered

To exclude every file in a directory from being updated, can I enter just the directory path in cpanelsync.exclude, or do I have to enter the entire path of every file in the directory? In other words, will the following work?

echo "/usr/local/cpanel/base/3rdparty/somedir/" >> /etc/cpanelsync.exclude

or do I have to use

echo "/usr/local/cpanel/base/3rdparty/somedir/file1.php" >> /etc/cpanelsync.exclude
    echo "/usr/local/cpanel/base/3rdparty/somedir/file2.php" >> /etc/cpanelsync.exclude
    echo "/usr/local/cpanel/base/3rdparty/somedir/file3.php" >> /etc/cpanelsync.exclude
    etc.

15. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator

The immutable file check only runs periodically and it does not stop the upgrade. It only stops the files set immutable from updating. There is no reason to exclude the files, since nothing is happening to those files and nothing is stopping the actual cPanel upgrade.