The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

one problem after transferring website

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ljwhite, Apr 25, 2006.

1. ljwhite

ljwhite Well-Known Member

One of my hosting accounts gets a problem. We transfered his domain(www.legacyadmin.com) from our old server ( 64.91.236.194 )to our new server(66.197.130.245) several months ago. It works well. But our client got problem on his pc. Whenever he tries to visit his domain, he gets the old website on the old server. And also when he pings his website, he gets the 64.91.236.194(the old server) number. He did the ipconfig /flushdns command, but still ping the old number. BTW, the website is ok for others. So definately it is personal problem. How to fix this problem? Any idea? Thanks in advance.

2. nettigritty

nettigritty Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

If he runs a local DNS server and has cleared that, the user should contact thier Internet Service Provider (who might still have cached DNS information).

3. ljwhite

Thanks for your help. What do you mean "he runs a local DNS server "? And if it is the problem of ISP, why we do not have this problem? It seems that just he has this problem. Could some thing wrong with his pc?

4. nettigritty

PartnerNOC

Do you use the same ISP ? The user would need to check the DNS servers being used under Network TCPIP properties.

5. webignition

webignition Well-Known Member

Well, if his local PC resolves a given domain to the wrong IP address, it will be due to:

1) An entry in c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
    Ask your client to open this file in notepad and check the contents - heck, ask them to email you the content for you to double-check (chances are they won't know what to look for!)

2) Your client's ISP has a cached record for the domain in question
    Well, if they're still caching the record after such a long time then something is really wrong. You could ask the ISP to check what IP the domain in question resolves to for them.

To check if this may be the case, you could ask your client to change their DNS server addresses for their Internet connection. I sometimes take clients though changing the DNS server addresses for their Internet connection to my primary and secondary DNS servers to show that they DNS records are indeed fine and that their ISP has a caching issue.

3) As mentioned above, a local DNS server could cause issues.
    This would be the same sort of problem as the ISP caching a record. If your client is on a network which has it's own caching DNS server, a problem could exist there.

6. ljwhite

I am sure we do not use the same ISP. But how to know it is the problem of ISP? Shall i ask him to use proxy server to test it? If it is problem of ISP? How to fix the problem?

7. webignition

To check if it's a problem with the ISP, get your client to tell you the DNS servers used in his Internet connection and set your Internet connection to use the same.

If you then find that the domain in question resolves to the wrong IP, it will be due to those DNS servers having the wrong records. If not, something else is afoot.

8. ljwhite

Thanks for your help. I will ask him to do some test as you suggest. BTW, could the cookie in IE be a reason?

9. webignition

No, browser cookies have no bearing on DNS resolution.

10. nettigritty

PartnerNOC

if it was a cache / cookies issue, it would atleast ping correctly but that is not the case.

11. ljwhite

Thanks for your great help!

12. ljwhite

I am really sorry to trouble you again.
    You said "To check if it's a problem with the ISP, get your client to tell you the DNS servers used in his Internet connection and set your Internet connection to use the same."
    I am not sure if i can test it in this way because we are in different countries. Is there other way to test? And if it is the problem of ISP. What could he do?

13. nettigritty

PartnerNOC

the client would have to contact his local admin / internet service provider.

14. webignition

That makes no difference whatsoever. You should be able to specify, within your Internet connection's TCP/IP properties, any set of name servers. The country in which they are located only matters when it comes to latency, with geographically closer servers generally having lower latency times.

As to what the client could do, well I'd still suggest checking c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts and this will certainly be causing problems if there is an entry present for their domain.

Your client could also try switching their Internet connection's DNS servers to yours. Assuming that yours are causing the domain to resolve to the correct IP, they will do the same for your client.

15. ljwhite

I checked "c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts " on my pc and i get this :
    127.0.0.1 localhost
    So this is the reason that cause the problem, what would he see in "c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts " on his pc?
    Thanks for your time and patience very much!

16. webignition

If your client has an entry for their domain and the wrong IP address, it will cause their machine to resolve the domain to the wrong IP address.