The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

One web site, multiple domains on external DNS

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by kallanp, Aug 30, 2013.

1. kallanp

kallanp Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi,

I am setting up a number of web sites each of which are accessed by multiple domains on the server. In all cases, the DNS for each domain is external and will always be so.

So using the example "mydomain.com" in place of an actual domain name in the question below:-

I have set up a web site where with a primary domain www.mydomain.com. This works fine.

I now need to point www.mydomain.co.uk to this web site, using a Google friendly 301-permanent redirect. I know how to set up the redirect in .htaccess, and I configure the external DNS to point to the IP address of the server, but the problem I have is how do I point www.mydomain.co.uk to the specific www.mydomain.com web site using WHM/CPanel? Other posts I have read suggest using parked domains, but it will not let me do this because the DNS for the domains concerned is external.

Kallan

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

You can add these additional domain names as Addon domains to the account. Then, use the "Redirects" feature in cPanel to redirect the domain names to the URL of your choosing.

Thank you.

3. kallanp

kallanp Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Thank you for that - it worked fine and I have the redirect in place.

However, I created the addon domain using the same user name as the primary domain. It warned me that the user already existed, but let me do it anyway. What would happen to the user if I deleted the addon domain? Would it delete the user as well - something that I do not want it to do? Should I always use separate user names for addon domains even when I know they will not host separate content?

Kallan

4. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Creating an addon domain name does not create an actual username on the system. It simply creates a username that is used as the subdomain and for FTP access. Deleting the addon domain name will not delete content from the primary account.

Thank you.