The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Only autocreate Urchin profiles for some plan types

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by peeeeeter, Mar 22, 2005.

1. peeeeeter

peeeeeter Registered

I can't seem to figure this one out. I need to only have certian plan types atuomatically get urchin stats.

If urchin is installed, then ALL plans get setup with an Urchin profile. I have a very low cost plan, and I don't want that plan to have urchin stats.

So, does anyone know where the process of adding urchin profiles for cpanel accounts happens, so I can try to make this change?

Thanks,

Peter

http://www.hostingopensource.com

2. cyanide

cyanide Well-Known Member

I would like the answer to this as well.
    I prefer to manually add Urchin if the client requests it

3. peeeeeter

peeeeeter Registered

I pulled this off, but it's not easy and not too pretty

I installed the "Stats Selector" add on to cpanel, which allows you to give some of your users access to a tool that lets them select which stats programs they run.

In it you can select which programs run by default. I set Urchin NOT to run by default.

Here's where it gets tricky. The link to it in cpanel is wrong, as it points to cpanelpro, so if you install it in a regular cpanel setup, the link will be broken in your user's cpanels.

Also, it's got a gray background instead of a white one, which is a little odd.

I have made several other changes to whm and cpanel, so I have a couple cron jobs that run and update files. I now have one that fixed the link in user's cpanels, so they can access stats select at a working url.

Step 2 is to setup which users can change their stats. To do that, I wrote another cron script that logs into whm and gives permissions to the users that are on my plans that include urchin.

Lastly, I change the stats display page in cpanel (again, through the cron job), and change the description of Urchin to say that it's only allowed on some accounts, and if you have an account that allows it, you must activate it using stats select. (I linked "stats select" in that text to the stats select page.)

The good thing about this is that urchin profiles are not created by default, so accounts that don't use it don't waste a profile, not to mention that I can now limit urchin to only some accounts.

I'm waiting to see if my users are confused by all this, as it probably would be better to go ahead and change the "stats select" link to say "Activate Urchin Stats", and I could change the background color to match at that same time.

But, for now, I've spent too much time on it already.

Hope this helps!!

Peter

http://www.hostingopensource.com

#3 peeeeeter, Apr 2, 2005
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2005