The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

only hosting HTTP?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mjm2, Aug 23, 2004.

1. mjm2

mjm2 Well-Known Member

i have a new client that only wants to host HTTP with me. they have email/dns handled by a third party...

i have setup their account in WHM, removed their domain from /etc/localdomains and added it to /etc/remotedomains.

do i need to do anythign else before i have them point the A record to my IP?

thanks.

2. haze

haze Well-Known Member

You should run /scripts/mailperm for good measure. Normally this will add the domain to localdomains if found in remotedomains file.

3. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

I'm presuming a typo here, since running that script should not add the domain to localdomains if it is in remotedomains. That's the whole point of the remotedomains file.

4. mjm2

mjm2 Well-Known Member

i had to add some MX entries to my DNS. for some reason it wasn't listening the /etc/remotedomains file??

all appears to be working properly now.

5. verdon

verdon Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I'm in a similar situation but am wondering if I should be looking for a slightly different fix.

In my case, I began to develop a site for a client. who's domain was currently hosted and active on another server. The idea was that eventually the zone record would be coming to my server. I set-up an account as normal using WHM for mycustomer.com, which of course creates the zone records and everything. I then created a sub-domain mycustomer.myhostingco.com and changed httpd.conf to point this to /home/mycustomer/public_html so I now have URL to develop under, until the existing zone for mycustomer.com gets transferred to my server. I do this often and it works well.

Since, it has been determined that the zone record for mycustomer.com is going to stay where it is, where they will also host mail and a few sub-domains such as members.mycustomer.com They are going to point mycustomer.com and www.mycustomer.com to my IP address.

So, I needed to remove MX records for mycustomer.com and move them from /etc/localdomains to /etc/remotedomains so that scripts running at mycustomer.com would be able to send mail to users@mycustomer.com without it going to localhost. I set the local MX record for mycustomer.com to point to mail.mycustomer.com and made the edits to /etc/localdomains and /etc/remotedomains, re-started bind and restarted exim. Unfortunately, scripts on my server still attempt to deliver mail for users@mycustomer.com locally, leading to...

LOG: MAIN
    lowest numbered MX record points to local host: mycustomer.com
    == user@mycustomer.com R=lookuphost defer (-1): lowest numbered MX record points to local host
    failed to open DB file /var/spool/exim/db/retry: Permission denied (euid=47 egid=12)

Obviously I've done something wrong :D

So then, in the case where the zone record is going to be on somebody else's server and they will just specifically be pointing requests for mycustomer.com and www.mycustomer.com to my IP address, should I be removing the entire zone from my server? If I do this via WHM -> DNS Functions -> Delete a DNS Zone, will this remove the vhost entry from my httpd.conf and delete the user account?

In this circumstance, I have just enough knowledge to be dangerous and am unsure how I should have things set-up on my end, or how to proceed. Any advice would be appreciated.

6. haze

haze Well-Known Member

:eek: wooopsie daisy! Um.. was just.. eh.. testin ya! thats it! Right...you got me :D It's actually the other way around. If its added to remotedomains it should remove it from localdomains.

7. haze

haze Well-Known Member

We usually delete the zone from WHM if its hosted elsewhere. It won't remove the httpd.conf settings, just dns. This is probably the best way to go about it as the zone is just sitting there collecting dust anyways. So.. the process in a nutshell:

Client is managing dns remotely ( and is all set up and working ) >> add domain to the remotedomains file >> run /scripts/mailperm >> delete zone >> Try and email them from the local system, ie. mail -v user@domain.com ( could also be tailing the log ), but it should all work fine.

8. verdon

verdon Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    That seemed to do the trick :)

Thanks Mate!