The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Oops typo in original domain name

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jamiek, Jan 26, 2011.

1. jamiek

jamiek Registered

I have two problems. One, I am a huge idiot. The other, maybe you can help me:

I recently signed up for a vps with cpanel, and when signing up I told the host I had an existing domain, but I typed it wrong in the blank, and now the system is trying to use a name that I don't own! I have gotten two emails about [ipcheck] Problem with DNS setup for (domain I don't own).

I have tried adding and editing DNS records under WHM DNS functions but nothing seems to be working. Do I have to contact the host to fix this, or can I do it myself?

I'm not intending to be a reseller or create accounts for other people. What I want is essentially the functionality of a shared host with guaranteed minimum resources that can scale as my site grows.

I'd be willing to pay to have someone un-mess my site, if it's simple to do but hard to explain.

2. cPanelJared

cPanelJared Technical Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    You did not mention what virtualization software is being used to host your VPS, but on Virtuozzo/OpenVZ, at least, the hostname is set in the hardware node that hosts your VPS. Any attempts to change the hostname from inside the VPS will be overwritten anytime the VPS is restarted, so you will need to contact your host and ask to have the hostname changed in the hardware node.

3. jamiek

jamiek Registered

Thank you for your help! Yes it is Virtuozzo and I have access to Parallels Power Panel. It sounds like the host will have to fix my goof. Thank you for pointing me in the right direction.

4. cPanelJared

cPanelJared Technical Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    You are more than welcome. Please let us know if you have any other questions.