open_basedir - not working for addon domains.

likudio

Jan 11, 2015
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hi,

As I understand, open_basedir's purpose is to limit a PHP file access to other resources, other than it's DocumentRoot. Fine until here.

Let's say I have cPanel account, "www.somesite.com" which has path /home/somesite/(public_html/), as a main domain.

And in my account, I want to add an Addon Domain, "www.othersite.com", which will point to: /home/somesite/www_othersite as DocumentRoot.

As I enable open_basedir, I expect that for each of my Addon Domain, its access to be limited to DocumentRoot ( /home/somesite/www_othersite in our situation) , NOT to users root folder (/home/somesite/);

I find this issue as being a bug; is there any known work around or should I report it somewhere using a ticket, so it can be fixed?

Regards,
A.

likudio

Jan 11, 2015
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hi secureconfig,

Your question doesn't make any sense, as according to cPanel documentation, open_basedir setting does not get activated from php.ini, but from /usr/local/apache/conf/httpd.conf, where the VirtualHosts are generated, and they look like this:

<IfModule concurrent_php.c>
php4_admin_value open_basedir "path_to_users_dir:/usr/lib/php:/usr/php4/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php:/usr/local/php4/lib/php:/tmp"
php5_admin_value open_basedir "/home/path_to_users_dir:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php:/tmp"
</IfModule>

The thing is... it should be path_to_document_root, not to users_dir if you get what I'm saying :)

I'll report a ticket with this issue.
Thanks anyway.

cPanelMichael

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
Hello :)

Could you let us know the ticket number so we can update this thread with the outcome?

Thank you.

likudio

Jan 11, 2015
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
After talking with a cPanel representative... they don't see this as a bug.
They think that this can this can be a feature... so I have to make a "feature request";

But... can somebody tell me, what is the purpose of open_basedir in cPanel option?
I mean, what's the point of using open_basedir to the users folder, and not to the domain root?

I still don't get it...

cPanelMichael

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
Per our documentation:

The open_basedir tweak limits users' ability to browse the file system with PHP. It prevents PHP's access to the user's home directory, /tmp, and some necessary PHP system directories. This protects foreign files from PHP access.
Additional documentation on this option is available at:

PHP open_basedir Tweak

Feel free to post the link to the feature request here so we can review it after the submission.

Thank you.