Openwebmail - Can you see any emails?

Feb 7, 2002
[quote:4c3f11c37a][i:4c3f11c37a]Originally posted by bdraco[/i:4c3f11c37a]

[quote:4c3f11c37a][i:4c3f11c37a]Originally posted by totalufo[/i:4c3f11c37a]

[quote:4c3f11c37a][i:4c3f11c37a]Originally posted by feanor[/i:4c3f11c37a]

jumpdomain: isn't that as simple as going into the default theme (/usr/local/cpanel/base/frontend/default) and editing the webmail index page? I haven't looked to see exactly what that is because I am too busy trying to save the machines that are using openwebmail.....

Is anyone else seeing openwebmail processes topping out repeatedly on various accounts/servers ? An strace yields nothing really helpful, it just appears that the process is spinning indefinitely- caught in a loop? - but like clockwork every machine is beginning to succumb to openwebmail processes using 85/95% of CPU time. And that is EACH process.

Anyone?[/quote:4c3f11c37a]

One of the possible problems with cpu resource problems because of open webmail is that the background image is 1.2 mb!

That's WAY too big for a background image. I'm not sure if that is a resource problem but it sure is a bandwidth hog.[/quote:4c3f11c37a]

Openwebmail uses dbms to speed up things .. however it seems to have a problem creating those dbms when it opens a mailbox over 25 megs. Anyways.. its going to hit the trash can tomorrow.[/quote:4c3f11c37a] so no more openwebmail ? :(

akashik

Oct 9, 2001
[i:19a6627d27]Originally posted by eva2000-george[/i:19a6627d27]

[quote:19a6627d27] so no more openwebmail ? :([/quote:19a6627d27]

hopefully not. For all it's drawbacks, Neomail works. We get no complaints from those who use it (some of them use ONLY that for e-mail). It's simple, and easy to use. I even used it myself while out of the country with no SMTP access. Get the inbox, hit reply, type and hit send...

Resource use is next to nothing - I don't think I've ever seen it blip the radar at all.

I'm more than happy to thank Nick for the advances over the past few months - CPanel has to be the most feature rich panel on the market today, but I wish the bells and whistles could be put on hold for a little while till things are consolidated more.

Greg Moore

rastoma

Aug 27, 2001
[quote:356eb869f6][i:356eb869f6]Originally posted by feanor[/i:356eb869f6]

rastoma:

to Nick & darkorb's side they actually DID inform us that openwebmail would be worked into the default theme, about 25 days ago. It was in the WHM news .............

[/quote:356eb869f6]

That's not what I was pointing out. I asked what was the purpose of open webmail when neomail was already functioning very well and was faily easy for newbies to get setup. Take someone new to hosting and with fair knowledge of windows in general.. which is what a lot of host customers are, and put them in front of the initial OWM screen with a dozen or so options about paths and everything, and tell me how many will not be confused? People that use cpanel forget that just because it's easy to them because they've been using it and are experienced on the web and hosting, that there are 10 times the number of people that are not. So to have a webmail system that works and continue to put resources in ANOTHER webmail system doesn't make sense. There are messages that people post on this SUPPORT board that take days to get answers... or they have to post a second message to their first one and say &well, can anyone help?&.

That was my point.

moronhead

Aug 12, 2001
[quote:866c6d6b6e][i:866c6d6b6e]Originally posted by bdraco[/i:866c6d6b6e]

Openwebmail uses dbms to speed up things .. however it seems to have a problem creating those dbms when it opens a mailbox over 25 megs. Anyways.. its going to hit the trash can tomorrow.[/quote:866c6d6b6e]
It's sad to see it gone! If only a few of the preference options were straightened out and the cpu load problem resolved it was definitely an improvement on neomail.

Heck, with neomail you can't even change the domain in the From: field when sending an email! What's so good about it? We are also stuck with it as there won't be any further improvements from the author.

Taking OWM away permanently is a backwards move me thinks.

B

bdraco

[quote:7793ee1c3c][i:7793ee1c3c]Originally posted by moronhead[/i:7793ee1c3c]

[quote:7793ee1c3c][i:7793ee1c3c]Originally posted by bdraco[/i:7793ee1c3c]

Openwebmail uses dbms to speed up things .. however it seems to have a problem creating those dbms when it opens a mailbox over 25 megs. Anyways.. its going to hit the trash can tomorrow.[/quote:7793ee1c3c]
It's sad to see it gone! If only a few of the preference options were straightened out and the cpu load problem resolved it was definitely an improvement on neomail.

Heck, with neomail you can't even change the domain in the From: field when sending an email! What's so good about it? We are also stuck with it as there won't be any further improvements from the author.

Taking OWM away permanently is a backwards move me thinks.[/quote:7793ee1c3c]

I'm working with the openwebmail guys to try to resolve all the problems with it .. I can't say for sure whats going to happen with it.

gordita

Aug 14, 2001
[quote:8a7c3a11ed][i:8a7c3a11ed]Originally posted by bdraco[/i:8a7c3a11ed]
I'm working with the openwebmail guys to try to resolve all the problems with it .. I can't say for sure whats going to happen with it.
[/quote:8a7c3a11ed]

Thanks Nick!! I would really like to keep OWM in use if at all possible.

phytoon

Apr 30, 2002
A Serious Problem with OpenWebMail!

I have found a problem with openwebmail. I am not sure if it's with all distributions.

I am able to open the default account on my webserver (e.g., if I created a website user - the default one - alinnov for the website www.alinnov.com), I am able to use login onto OpenWebMail. But if I create an account (e.g, [email protected]), I am not able to login.

Is there any solution to this problem?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Z Email 1
Z Email 6
Z Email 0
Z Email 7
B Email 2