The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Operating System and cPanel?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by x-man, Dec 27, 2004.

1. x-man

x-man Well-Known Member

Can somebody tell to me what is best choose for cPanel, here is offer from my host:
    RedHatFedora
    FreeBSD 5.1
    Debian 3.0

Who OS is best for cPanel? Best work, security etc...?
    And what is the best for you?

2. casey

casey Well-Known Member

If I were you I'd go with Fedora and then do a yum upgrade to CentOS. The RedHat products seem to run smoother with cPanel and its addons.

3. x-man

x-man Well-Known Member

More comments?

thanks

4. haze

haze Well-Known Member

Fedora has a 6 month life cycle, then updates become the responsibility of fedoralegacy, which isn't very active at all. So if you want to upgrade your OS every 6 weeks to a bleeding edge core, which isn't a great idea, fedora might be fine. You will have problems, as fedora core is built with a lot of the latest technojunk.

FreeBSD is an excellent OS, however unless you totally understand how it works, you will encounter problems and headaches galore.

Debian is a beautiful OS, but cPanel support for it is Beta.

In my honest opinion i would go with an enterprise OS such as redhat enterprise or one of its free alternatives CentOS ( www.centos.org ). If your host doesn't provide this, perhaps find a new one.

I would also advise against upgrading from any fedora core to CentOS. Fedora core ( even core 1 ) has newer technology than CentOS and thus an "upgrade" would be a "downgrade" and even if it was possible you would have far more problems than it would be worth. If you can however ask for redhat 9, you can do a remote upgrade via yum to CentOS.

Regarding security. These OS's are only as secure as you make them. FreeBSD is known to come locked down to great extent and linux is known to come unsecured. Either way, they all need just as much work as the other to ensure they are locked down. Security is not a one time bandaid solution such as installing a firewall, etc. It takes constant vigilance and an understanding of the needs and requirements of the system and an understanding of what you need to do to keep your server secure.

5. x-man

x-man Well-Known Member

Yes, but redhat enterprise, that is not free?

Now on my first server I have RH9, FreeBSD is much different OS? I must learn much things about FreeBSD?

thanks

6. haze

haze Well-Known Member

FreeBSD is not linux, though they both have their foundations in Unix, it would be the equivilent of a windows system admin moving to linux without any linux knowledge if you are unfamiliar with freebsd.

RHEL is not free, however CentOS is, and its a clone of RHEL without the support provided by redhat. cPanel supports CentOS very well.

7. DWHS.net

DWHS.net Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Keep in mind this is just my oppinion and I do not work for Cpanel,

I think the difference is not that large between them all, pros and cons are there for each one.

Redhat enterprise is the best but costs money.
    FreeBSD is a better OS but harder to use and not as cpanel friendly as the others.
    Fedora is a non-production OS so using it for production is very risky for security reasons.
    Redhat 9 has to self supported since it is not supported by redhat anymore and eventually may be absolete.

I miss the old days as well when this decision was simple, I also feel FreeBSD will not free someday, especially now that apple uses it in their serverx platform.

Good luck!

8. haze

haze Well-Known Member

And why is it you think it will no longer be free someday ?

9. Yojek

Yojek Active Member

Mandrake 9.2

10. haze

haze Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing / boosting the post count, im sure the thread starter will find your post very very usefull. You could at least explain your reasoning behind that decision so that the thread starter has something to help convince his provider.

11. x-man

x-man Well-Known Member

Big problem, what now choose because I can`t pay for Redhat enterprise, on servermatrix.com I find Redhat enterprise in OS offers for server (version 3) and if I good see that is free like fedora and few other OS!?

FreeBSD good but I must learn that or I must pay some admin...

Debian 3.0 good but cPanel BETA....

CentOS good but I think that can be problem if I want install that? That is big problem?

Sorry if my english bad!

12. neutro

neutro Well-Known Member

Try Centos 3.3 - no problem so far with Cpanel.
    No need to pay license like Redhat but at least you donate some money to CAos :)