The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Operating system ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by f46, May 13, 2004.

1. f46

f46 Registered

hi
    i am thinking of building anew production server what operating system would you guys recommend out of the ones cpanel support?
    Thanks in advance

2. bamasbest

bamasbest Well-Known Member

I think this is more a matter of your personal preference.

Let's assume that, all things being equal, cPanel performs flawlessly on each OS that they list as supported.

If you choose an OS that you are unfamiliar with, you are facing a learning curve just to figure out commands that handle routine server admin tasks like kernel upgrades.

In reality, suppose you upgrade your cpanel and find that some things may be a bit buggy. Knowing your way around your OS's commands and installed packages would certainly make life easier when trying to fix things.

That aside, since I'm an old *nix guy and probably have lost the mental capacity to learn anything new, I stick with Fedora (oh yeah, I'm kindof a penny pincher;) and have yet to encounter a situation that was not easily resolved.

3. f46

f46 Registered

i like freebsd but when it comes to finding a guide or a how to for cpanel most the answers would be for linux! ,i like Linux but i only used redhat 9.0 and i stopped using it last year when they announced end of it's life support so I am not sure what would be the most semiller to redhat 9.0 and free:)

4. bamasbest

Fedora is a redhat product and is free. Despite the claims made at the redhat site (obviously trying to steer customers towards RHE$$ ;), I've had no probs with Fedora:)

5. f46

f46 Registered

i had i quick look at fedora it state they users: Early adopters, enthusiasts, developers (they not recommending it for production use) and am not sure if i can install it with out downloading the full 3 iso images. And what a bout Whitebox Enterprise any comment on that.
    Cheers

6. bamasbest

My datacenter loaded fedora and cpanel for me. I just had to kill dovecot and config cpanel/whm to my needs.

Oops, and send a check;)

I've not dealt with whitebox, so I couldn't offer an opinion on that.

7. Joshfrom

Joshfrom Well-Known Member

This is a completely uneducated answer because I haven't used it myself yet, but people have been saying that they have no problems using the whitebox version.

(They were actually saying that before we even mentioned on the webpage that it's supported)