• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JayFromEpic

Apr 2, 2011
Scottsdale
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Twitter
Well I know a lot of people have there own preference on what mail server they use. I have done a good amount of research and I personally think Dovecot is the best choice only if you know how to properly administer your server/vps.

But, im curious to see what all of you think!

garrettp

PartnerNOC
Jun 18, 2004
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
Dovecot only because there is a significant memory overhead reduction and I haven't incurred any additional administration overhead by switching servers to it. Plus it makes for a cleaner process list. :p

cPanelTristan

Quality Assurance Analyst
Staff member
Oct 2, 2010
somewhere over the rainbow
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Dovecot has the following benefits:

- Lower memory usage, which is ideal on systems with memory constraints
- More verbose logging

It does have issues with time skew, where any machine that does not properly control the time and has it constantly going shifting can have Dovecot bail. Usually, using something like ntp rather than rdate will help to correct any time skew issues on a machine.

lbeachmike

Dec 27, 2001
Long Beach, NY
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
What is the downside of the fact that with dovecot, the trash will not automatically expunge? Does this mean that users will end up with undeleted trash and thus there will be lots of extra storage space being hogged up on the server? Or accounts more quickly hitting their quotas if users don't tend to their email account management?

I'd like to make the switch, but slightly concerned about this.

Thanks.

Mike

cPanelMichael

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
Hello Mike :)

There is an open feature request that deals with the trash mail with Dovecot. It can be found at:

Dovecot Trash Mail

The tentative plan is for this feature to be included with cPanel version 11.34. In the meantime, some users simply add a cron job to the system that compares mtimes of the files to determine when to delete the trashed mail.

Thank you.

crazyaboutlinux

Nov 3, 2007
before moving to dovcot i have few questions hope somebody Help!

1) currently we are using courier as mail server, will there be any issue arise if i change to dovcot ??

2) there is following option at mail server selection, should i have to uncheck this box or keep as it is ?
PHP:
Convert Mailbox Format

Convert mailbox settings file format to new mail server's format during migration

When checked, the settings files for each mailbox will be converted into the format for the new mail server. This includes information about read messages, mailbox subscriptions, etc. Unchecking this box will cause your clients to lose their mailbox settings but will speed up the migration.

cPanelMichael

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
1) currently we are using courier as mail server, will there be any issue arise if i change to dovcot ??
There are no additional changes required after switching to Dovecot. It should be a seamless change.

2) there is following option at mail server selection, should i have to uncheck this box or keep as it is ?
The only time you should leave that option unchecked is if you have a large amount (1000+ depending on the server hardware) of email accounts on the server. Even then, you can leave the option checked if you do not mind allowing the migration time to complete.

Thank you.