Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

Optimization: How to safely clean partitions?

Discussion in 'Workarounds and Optimization' started by luigidelgado, Feb 28, 2013.

1. luigidelgado

luigidelgado Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    I am thinking of a new feature for cPanel about a script to remove old Kernels. Ubuntu has it so I dont see any problem here. The thing is if we want to optimize cPanel this could be done every time the kernel is updated. Also for /tmp files

Right now I have a question.
    What elements in tmp can I safely delete?
    is it safe to delete fcgid.tmp.xxxx old files?
    is it safe to delete cpanel_easy-xxxxxxxxx file?
    is it safe to delete which files?

/tmp is almost 80% full all the time, even restarting the server or flushing caches, etc.

Thanks.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Jeff Shotnik

Jeff Shotnik Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Yes, it is safe to delete those files. How large is your /tmp partition? If it's 1GB, you're likely to always see it above the 80% mark as many different services use tmp for temporary files. It's okay if /tmp is pretty full, but if you see that one cPanel user is consuming most of the space with php session files you can adjust their scripts to use a local temp directory with a php.ini.

Regarding kernel updates and removing old kernels - be sure to leave at least one older kernel just in case something goes wrong with the running kernel.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...