The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Optimizing MySQL

Discussion in 'Workarounds and Optimization' started by mm1250, Jul 30, 2008.

1. mm1250

mm1250 Well-Known Member

Hello,

I amd running a shared-hosting server with around 250clients bu I am always noticing during my TOP session that MySQL is always at the top and CPU usage ranges from 5 to 50% CPU. I have used the "Show MySQL Processes" in WHM but doesn't show much besides the cphulk and eximstat. I refresh it often and dont' seem major usage like what TOP is reporting. So i'm a little worried.

How can I figure out who is hammering my MySQL server? Also I'm interested in knowing hot to set limits such as database size, queries per hour limit etc... Any suggestions?

2. thewebhosting

thewebhosting Well-Known Member

continue keep a watch on running processes on server using top -c command. Meanwhile, I think there is no functionality in MySQL to limit the database size. However, you can create shell script and setup cron job for it. You can get an example of script from http://www.howtoforge.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-1944.html.

3. gupi

gupi Well-Known Member

4. Manoj_Krishnan

Manoj_Krishnan Registered

You may use the command " mysqladmin processlist " in shell.

It will display the resources used by the databases that are being used at the particular moment .

Manoj Krishnan
    Systems Engineer
    http://SupportPRO.com :: Transparent Web Hosting Support Services to Web Hosting Businesses ..

5. madaboutlinux

madaboutlinux Well-Known Member

Yes, the command

watch mysqladmin proc

which will show real time connections to your databases just like top shows server side connections. As 'thewebhosting' said earlier you cannot limit the size of the databases but you can very well limit the number of mysql connections to your server and connections on per user basis. All these limits can be set in /etc/my.cnf file.

6. JamesAB

JamesAB Active Member

Could sombody please post an example of how mysql connections can be limited on a per user basis by making changes in /etc/my.cnf ?

Or a link to a good reference would also help.

Also, how would you handle the task of setting this up with new accounts, if the database name(s) haven't even been chosen?

Thanks,
    James

7. mohit

mohit Well-Known Member

JamesAB, Iam also looking for optimizing my.cnf, and restrict per user max connections.

currently one of my server which normally does loads of under 1.0 is going bonkers during specific times and those 1-2 hours are painful.

Most of the load is from mysql, and my.cnf i have seems to be only the default one with no tweak visible.