The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Original cPanel files

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by User 2011, May 9, 2011.

1. User 2011

User 2011 Member

Hi guys...well I've been using cPanel for some time now and have tried to figure out cPanel original files. My question is - there are already some folders and files in cPanel before you upload your first site into it. Which files / folders should or can be removed and which ones need to stay ?

P.S. For example there had been a file index.php already , a cgi-bin folder etc. I have moved everything into a new folder and uploaded my site, everything works fine but I'm not quite sure if this is the way to do it. I know that original index.php file was a hosting info, but there had been some more folders etc. Thanks for any comments..

2. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    There are no required files or folders in public_html, although you may have an .htaccess file and cgi-bin folder there by default. If you enable FrontPage extensions on the account, that will also create some additional folders.

The cgi-bin folder allows you to run .pl and .cgi scripts in that folder. If you do not plan to run any such scripts and are mainly going to use PHP or HTML, then you would not need to work about that folder. You can always re-create the cgi-bin folder if you need it.

As for the .htaccess file, it will contain directives for Apache. Again, if the site you are creating does not need to create rewrite rules of any kind, you won't likely need that file.

3. User 2011

User 2011 Member

Great, thank you for the extensive reply !