The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OS Container Refresh - WHM

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by doulos61, Mar 27, 2015.

1. doulos61

doulos61 Well-Known Member

Greetings -

I am in need of refreshing the OS on the container provided by my hosting company. At one time they would take care of this as part of their customer service. Personally I believe it is their responsibility since they have a higher access to the container than I have. The current OS is Fedora 4 which is way past end of life. I would like to get it in line with one of our other servers that is running CentOS 6.3.

My hosting company has given me two options -
    1. Allow their professional services to wipe the container, and then install the OS (with a $100+ service charge for doing so)
    or
    2. I can wipe the server and install the OS

I am sure there are other concerns that I need to take into consideration like the license of the WHM. Does anyone know of a guide available that can step me thru the process from obtaining the OS, the installation, and applying the WHM front end?

Any information is appreciated.
    Thanks
    Shoop

2. 24x7ss

24x7ss Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    First of all let me know whether you are having dedicated server or VPS ?

If its dedicated server then you can install OS there is no issue with it but before going with installation take the backup of your data and cpanel configuration files and its better to keep the backup into your local machine.

Once backup part is completed then you are free to go with OS re-installation. There is no need to worry about WHM license because cpanel/WHM issue license on IP address. Until and unless your IP is same no worries.

3. doulos61

I appreciate the response.

This is a VPS that was hosting about 10-15 accounts. Right now the only thing on the server is the OS. I have migrated all the accounts off this server. Short of the block of IPs assigned to this server, there is nothing on there I am concerned about.

Thanks
    Shoop

4. 24x7ss

24x7ss Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Hello Shoop,

If that is the case then you can simply reinstall the container and can install WHM, setup required apache/php modules through easyapache and move your accounts back.

5. doulos61

But how? All that we have is just the container space. One two of our new servers we have both the WHM AND the Virtuozzo container GUI (Parallels Power Panel).

As stated in the thread entry -

"Does anyone know of a guide available that can step me thru the process from obtaining the OS, the installation, and applying the WHM front end?"

The previous reply doesn't answer the actual process; flatening the container, obtaining the OS, installing it on the container, applying the whm... etc

Thanks
    Shoop

6. dalem

dalem Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    1. have your provider change the template in your ve.conf from Fedora 4 to Centos 6 & reinstall yourself
    2. wget http://layer1.cpanel.net/latest
    3. sh latest
    4. Done.

$100 is a bit excessive for a reinstall on a VPS

7. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

Your provider should be able to provide you with instructions on how to reinstall the operating system. Note that with a VPS, it's typically a matter of them changing the template or re-creating the image.

Thank you.