The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OS Upgrade

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by niatech, Jun 1, 2006.

1. niatech

niatech Well-Known Member

Hello all,

I'm looking to upgrade both drives and OS on my CPanel server. Couple questions:

1. I'm thinking about backing up (full) to another server, take out drives, install new OS, install new CPanel, do a full restore from backups. Will this bring my server back to its previous state without having to tinker around with Tweak Settings, etc?

2. Is the above the best way? ;)

3. Does a fresh CPanel install use maildir instead of mbox? My current server still uses mbox.

Thank you all in advance for your help!!

Ciao

2. OCX

OCX Well-Known Member

>Hello all,

>I'm looking to upgrade both drives and OS on my CPanel server. Couple questions:

>1. I'm thinking about backing up (full) to another server, take out drives, install new OS, >install new CPanel, do a full restore from backups. Will this bring my server back to its >previous state without having to tinker around with Tweak Settings, etc?

NO, you still have to setup as you normaly would being a brand new install, such as
    name servers, IPs..firewalls..etc etc BUT restoring your clients from a backup will be as it never left the server in the firstplace.

>2. Is the above the best way? ;)
    A Fresh install and reconfigure doesnt hurt

>3. Does a fresh CPanel install use maildir instead of mbox? My current server still uses >mbox.
    Yes from what iv seen on new installs

>Thank you all in advance for your help!!

Your welcome

Ciao