The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OSCommerce, Agora installs fail

Discussion in 'cPanel Developers' started by Lyttek, Jun 5, 2006.

1. Lyttek

Lyttek Well-Known Member

Well, I've tried both OSCommerce and Agora... both installations fail. I'm guessing that this is caused by register_globals being turned off.

At least before, I could install OSC and then patch it... now I have to do it manually?

This begs the question: if a secure server won't let you install an Add-On, then why 1) have it in cPanel or 2) why doesn't cPanel apply the patch or fix the installer or whatever so that I can install the damn thing!

2. Lyttek

Lyttek Well-Known Member

bippity bumpitty...

3. Snowman30

Snowman30 Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Bumping posts wont help

Complaining to cPanel about 3rd party scripts is like complaining to bill gates about a program that wont run on your own PC

If you have a problem with a 3rd party script check with their developers.

osCommerce needs register globals to be on

If you have compiled it off then either change your php.ini to globals on or simply add a php.ini with globals on in the account you install it on

4. Lyttek

Lyttek Well-Known Member

Dunno... you answered ;)

Granted, the base problem lies with register globals needing to be on... which is a programming issue.

However, my real irk is that if running a secure server means removing the ability to have 'register globals' on, and doing so breaks the ability to even install the software, then why have it in cPanel?

But then, there's a patch available that makes it possible to run osCommerce *without* register globals... so why isn't that included? So, osc doesn't *need* register globals to run... it just needs it in the default configuration.

5. Lyttek

Lyttek Well-Known Member

6. Snowman30

PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    osCommerce doesnt have any patch or module to allow register globals to be off

So its a bit hard for CPanel to include it...

7. Snowman30

PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    They dont work 100% on all stores on all platfoms and configurations and they are not part of the official osCommerce release but are user contributed.

And as far as security goes you have more chances of a security breach from one of the many buggy formmail or gallery type scripts out there than you ever will from a properly installed and configued store runnign with php_globals on

Another thing to consider is that osCommerce doesnt run under php5 and or MySQL 5 bug free either

Its not up to cpanel to update these scripts but rather the vendors so if you want something done bug them instead