The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

osCommerce and Cpanel

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by modom, May 4, 2006.

1. modom

modom Well-Known Member

Hi,

I am using plesk now for a server administration area and am seriously thinking about changing to cpanel.

I use osCommerce to setup ecommerce stores.

Using plesk I have to comment out the zip and gzip code from osCommerce whenever doing a backup of the mysql database in the osCommerce store admin area otherwise I get all these open_base not allowed path etc. errors. This happens even though I have vhost.conf and vhost_ssl.conf files setup in the conf folder for each domain to take care of the open_base errors. This takes care of the error on the store itself but not the admin area for zip and gzip. Also, I was told I could setup another conf file, etc. and jump through hoops if I wanted to use the zip and gzip utility so commenting out the code was easier.

If anyone has setup and run the osCommerce store on their cpanel server I would appreciate any information that would help me with the understanding of this open_base problem.

My server /etc/php.ini now is set for safe_mode = on and register_globals = off and would like to keep it that way even on cpanel. The vhost.conf files for each store domain lists safe_mode = off and register_globals = on so there are not any errors on the store itself.

Any help in understanding is greatly appreciated and also advice on moving from plesk to cpanel. I have plesk 7.5.4 reloaded on Centos 3.7 and will probably need to wait until cpanel has a means to migrate 7.5.4 over.

Thanks!

2. modom

modom Well-Known Member

Does anyone use the ecommerce store osCommerce on their server?

3. brianoz

brianoz Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I'm sure many, many people use osCommerce on cpanel (it's the leading webhosting platform) but I suspect they don't read this forum! Or haven't seen your post!

If open_base causes oscommerce to fail, why would you use it?

Also, you're asking Plesk questions which don't make any sense in a cpanel environment! We don't have any idea what vhost.conf is. There's no known problem with running with safemode on, although it's kind of a pain.

4. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Not sure what you're asking for. The issue with oscommerce is that you do (usually) need register_globals = on in php.ini, and that's true in the cPanel environment as any LAMP environment without hacking oscommerce.

5. modom

modom Well-Known Member

>>>>>>>>>>>>
    If open_base causes oscommerce to fail, why would you use it?

Also, you're asking Plesk questions which don't make any sense in a cpanel environment! We don't have any idea what vhost.conf is. There's no known problem with running with safemode on, although it's kind of a pain.
    >>>>>>>>>>>

I am trying to make a decision on switching to cpanel from plesk so since I am not a server guru like you are I am trying to understand these things better.

Now, in plesk, I have to setup what they call vhost.conf files for the register_globals and safe_mode and open_basedir settings if I want to keep it so my osCommerce stores work correctly. Open_base on my server now will just give errors unless I have this code setup in vhost.conf in each store client's vhost.conf file on plesk...just the way it is with plesk:

<Directory /home/httpd/vhosts/designhosting.biz/httpdocs>
    php_admin_flag engine on
    php_admin_value safe_mode 0
    php_admin_value register_globals 1
    php_admin_value open_basedir /home/httpd/vhosts/designhosting.biz/httpdocs:/tmp:/usr/share/pear
    </Directory>

>>>>>>>>>>>
    The issue with oscommerce is that you do (usually) need register_globals = on in php.ini
    >>>>>>>>>>>

Yes this is true. If this was a cpanel server and I wanted to keep register_globals OFF on the server then would I use a .htaccess file for each osCommerce store to turn register_globals on for osCommerce?

The next version of osCommerce will NOT need register globals on and am planning on updating my stores to that version.

Thanks for your responses.

6. gorilla

gorilla Well-Known Member

Pretty sure i saw a hack on the oscommerce forums to run OSC with register_global OFF,
    it might be a good idea to check their forums and contribution section.

7. modom

modom Well-Known Member

Hi,

That is the hack in my previous post.

Thanks!

8. brianoz

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Mel,

Just be aware, some hosts run with phpsuexec turned on. If they do, you'll need to use a php.ini file instead of a .htaccess, and you need to have a php.ini file in every directory from which a php script might get called. The syntax is a little different but easily available on the web. Note that phpsuexec, although different, is actually a much better and more secure environment in which to run.

You'll be able to tell this since the php directives in the .htaccess files will fail with an apache error.

9. modom

modom Well-Known Member

Thanks!

I will have to study on this phpsuexec.

My server currently does not have this:
    Server API Apache 2.0 Filter

and I have been experimenting today with the .htaccess file and removing the vhost.conf files and so far I have safe_mode = on and register_globals = off on my server and have the php register_globals directive in the .htaccess file on each of my stores and no errors.

I have another post about whether the cpanel icons disappear from the users cpanel login screen if these features are turned off in whm like ssl for instance. Do you know if these graphic icons disappear whenever you turn a feature off?

10. brianoz

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Cpanel runs a separate instance of apache from the user space version. You can completely confuse your own apache without affecting cpanel at all.