The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Out of space error

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by keat63, Jul 18, 2015.

1. keat63

keat63 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Guys.

I was called out on Saturday to investigate web site errors, and even though i winged it and got the server back up an running, I've no real idea what caused it.

The initial call was for a MYSQL error on one of the web sites, which I assumed was a crashed table.
    When I tried to log in to Cpanel for this account I got a message
    "
    The filesystem mounted at / on this server is running out of disk space."
    Running df -h indicated that the server was out of space. 974gb used out of 975gb

running du -sk *| sort -n narrowed a large chunk used in the backup folder, so I removed all backups and df -h then told me that i was using 18gb of 975gb

so now I can get back in to Cpanel, and sort out the corrupted table.

Looking in my email logs, i have absolutely hundreds and hundreds of these messages

Jul 18 04:39:32 host lfd[12700]: *User Processing* PID:11898 Kill:0 User:user Time:1845 EXE:/usr/bin/php CMD:/usr/bin/php /home/user/public_html/index.php

so I don't have a single clue as to what was the cause.

Could anyone help shed any light ?

2. 24x7server

24x7server Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

You have installed CSF firewall on your server and due to that you are getting these all alert from LFD. CSF send you emails about processes that are running too long. You can add that process in csf.pignore (/etc/csf/csf.pignore) file, if you want to ignore that process alert

3. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Sounds like you were backing up to the same HDD as your accounts are on. (bad idea)

All kinds of things can break and or generate errors when you run out of disk space. Now that you've cleared the backups and given the system room, have the emails stopped?

That's not the full email is it? How long was it running, that's included in the email too.

4. keat63

keat63 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    The backup is configured to an FTP account on another server.
    And since clearing the space, the errors have indeed stopped.
    I had 800 of those messages, seems it started in the early hours and continued all night.

I checked the space usage this morning and it was up to 25gb, so i guess i'll have to keep my eye on this now for a few days/weeks and see if this starts to grow again.

#4 keat63, Jul 20, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2015
  5. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

Keep in mind that even though the backup destination is a remote server, the backup archive is temporarily generated locally before transferred to that remote server via FTP.

Thank you.