Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Outbound Email Notifications

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by rclemings, Apr 3, 2018.

1. rclemings

rclemings Active Member

Muting the messages isn't enough.

If a feature like this was going to be introduced (and who asked for it? CSF/LFD already has a much better version) then it needs to be configurable to set: (a) the number of emails that triggers an alert, and (b) which users will be covered.

As it is, every time somebody posts something to one of my Mailman lists, I start getting notifications that the mailman user is a spammer. Every time Drupal sends out a new content notice or a newsletter subscription, I get notifications that the Drupal user is a spammer.

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello @rclemings,

I moved this post to it's own thread, as the thread you posted to is related to a specific case (e.g. the notification still occurring after the notification type is disabled). As far as the functionality of the feature itself, it was first introduced in cPanel & WHM version 68:

We plan to expand upon this feature in cPanel & WHM version 72 by adding the Number of unique recipients per hour to trigger potential spammer notification. option in the Mail tab of WHM >> Home >> Server Configuration >> Tweak Settings. This setting will allow you to specify the number of emails that any account may send in one hour before the system sends an alert notification. As far as a per-user configuration, I encourage you to open a feature request for that via:

Submit A Feature Request

Emails sent via Mailman mailing lists should be not be counted towards the outbound email rate. Could you verify if that's happening on your system?

Thank you.

3. rclemings

rclemings Active Member

As of 11:50 p.m. yesterday it is.

Possibly relevant: These lists are not set up through cPanel but directly in the shell, because they were existing lists moved from a non-cPanel server and if they had been set up through cPanel their names would have been munged.

4. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

Can you verify the specific steps/commands you used to import those mailing lists?

Thank you.

5. rclemings

rclemings Active Member

Not easily. It was about 10 years ago and my notes are gone. From memory, I think I created them on the command line and imported them manually, then added a new router and transport pointing to them in the Exim advanced configuation. I may be missing a step or two in my memory.

6. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

This is likely the reason the emails are counted towards the outbound email threshold, as it's an unsupported configuration. Have you considered setting up new mailing lists through cPanel and then importing the existing data from the current lists?

Thank you.

7. rclemings

rclemings Active Member

At that time, I believe that would have meant changing the listname from "listname" to "listname_account" and the list address from "listname@domain" to "listname_account@domain." Is that still the case?

8. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

Mailing lists are created in the following format when added through cPanel:

listname_domain.tld

However, the list address for use when sending email to/from the mailing list is "listname@domain.tld" as opposed "listname_account@domain.tld".

Thank you.

9. rclemings

rclemings Active Member

Thanks. It's probably not worth the effort to change it at this point though.

Either way, I still think it would be useful to be able to exempt certain users from the checks, or (better) set higher triggers for them. I have another user that can send several thousand legitimate emails per day (Drupal content notifications, to be specific) and I'm getting multiple alerts. If I could change the trigger for that user to (say) 5,000 it would solve the problem while still providing some degree of spam protection.

I see the feature request site is back up now (although missing recent posts) so I will compose a request there.

cPanelMichael likes this.
  10. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi @rclemings,

Feel free to post the link to the feature request here once you've opened it so that other users reaching this thread with the same request can vote for it.

Thank you.

11. Kelli

Kelli cPanel Product Owner
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    There has been discussion about being able to exempt certain users. This is also something we want to do, but I don't yet know when we will be able to get to it. It is on our radar. Do post in the feature site!

cPanelLauren likes this.
  12. rclemings

rclemings Active Member