The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Outdated MySQL DB backups?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by collinong, Jun 22, 2004.

1. collinong

collinong Member

Cpanel generates outdated MySQL DB backups? How possible?

My host went down last week, and I thought I was good to go on a new host because I'd downloaded home directory backups of all my accounts and separate SQL db backups as well just under a week earlier.

However, when I restored the SQL databases, I found that the data was only current up to around March 2004. Since I generated and downloaded and burned to DVD all of these backups on June 10, 2004, I'm very pissed off and can't understand in any way how this could be possible.

Since DB contents are changed at the time changes are made, I can't see how an outdated backup could be sent to me because the old data should no longer exist. Unless the server somehow generates backups periodically and then sends you what it has when you request it, I can't see how I could get an old db backup when I click on generate DB backup???

Can anybody explain this?

The file backups are current, only the sql backups are dated...

#1 collinong, Jun 22, 2004
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2004
  2. collinong

collinong Member

ok, i thought I'd repond to my own post in case something like this happens to anybody.

I realized the the database restore problem was caused by a change in domain name which I had done back in March. When I requested our host to change our domain from oldname.com to newname.com, they had just editted our account to make the change to our domain and user login. This was the easiest thing because otherwise, we would have had to migrate all our data and databases onto a newly created account. Everything seemed to work ok after the switch, so I didn't think about it again. Now, I realize that in making this switch, the databases had been duplicated at the time of the switch to reflect the new account name, but the site scripts like the forum, had continued to access the database server using the old username, saving their data into the old databases. When I downloaded database backups on 6/10, it was using the current username, which only accessed the databases which had been duplicated in mid-March and not touched since. The current data was actually in the old databases under the old username.

I was able to recover the data by going in via ssh and using mysql dump and our old username and the old database names to extract the databases, which did turn out to be up to date.