The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Outgoing E-mail and client IP

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by microfx, Feb 4, 2003.

1. microfx

microfx Member

I noticed that when people send e-mail out through the SMTP server from their client software it attaches their IP in the header. Is there anyway to turn this function off? I know it's supposed to protect against SPAM but I offer anonymous web hosting and need to have that off.

Thank You,

Matt

2. FijianTribe

FijianTribe Well-Known Member

Well you could get cloaking software... but then again I have a major hatred towards allowing anonymous or cloak emailing... thats were SPAM comes from... and I hate Spammers.

3. microfx

microfx Member

Well I don't actually intend on allowing spammers. I hate them also but there are legitimate reasons for not displaying the IP also.

My question is why do I need a cloaking program if the SMTP server software is on my server? Isn't there something I can just turn off?

4. FijianTribe

FijianTribe Well-Known Member

Not that I know of... the SMTP headers should only be showing the Originating SMTP Server and any other server it has been routed through.

Using Telnet and a few scripts you can make these fields false (what spammers do).

If your server is the SMTP server then your address should be appearing.. not the clients address.

5. Website Rob

Website Rob Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    And it's a good thing it cannot be turned off!

Headers to display information on the Servers (not accounts) being used to route the eMail is a good Standard to have. How else, could Spam be traced back to the originator? I understand where you're coming from though, when I was a Reseller I had wanted the same thing.

Best just to accept that it is one of the things we need to live with -- within the Wacky Web World. ;)