Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Outgoing email filter

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by Ali Hamra, May 26, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Ali Hamra

Ali Hamra Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,
    I have created multiple of email accounts via cPanel and what i am willing to do is that i want to assign two of the created e-mails to only send and receive e-mails from the same domain name and discarding any e-mails either outgoing or incoming that does not match the domain name assigned.
    I went through the E-mail filter and created many rules, as an example of outgoing :
    To -> Does not contain -> @mydomain.com
    or
    To -> Does not end with -> @mydomain.com

No matter what rule i create, it always pass these conditions and the user can easily send e-mails without be notified that this action is not allowed.

However, i can assure that incoming mails works fine as needed, but as for outgoing only problem occurs.
    Also I've used "Filer Test" and the result is a success for both ways ! But accessing Webmail ( roundcube or horde ) the problem occurs.

Am i missing something here ?
    Thanks.

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

Email filters that you configure in cPanel only apply to incoming email. You'd need to configure a system filter rule for Exim (this requires root access to the server) if you want to filter outgoing email. Here's a document that explains how to setup a system filter rule:

How to Customize the Exim System Filter File - cPanel Knowledge Base - cPanel Documentation

You'd have to ensure the rule included a "FROM" and "TO" option to ensure it only applies to specific email accounts.

Let us know if you have any questions.

Thanks!