The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Outgoing mail problem

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by motoenth, Jan 18, 2005.

1. motoenth

motoenth Member

I've got a hosting customer who has been slow to pay for over a year. Every month, I have to call and ask for payment. I finally got sick of it and suspended their account to get their attention. I promptly received payment and unsuspended their account. Everything seemed to back in order but now they're having a problem with their email account (they can receive but when they try to send, it throws a "Cannot resolve hostname" error. Port 25 error, port 110 error...etc.)

I checked our mail server and it was good - no emails hanging in the queue - Webmail works - I called and told them everything looked good on our end and they are probably having trouble with their connection.

Now, they've been four days without email and they're starting to think I don't want their account (which isn't true - call me stupid :rolleyes: )

I've created an account in Outlook Express on my machine and can send mail no problems. When I created the account in OE, I went in and changed the password so that I knew what it was (!). When I did this I got:

The e-mail account xxxxx@abc.com was successfully modified. /home/abc/etc/shadow is a link. Not changing ownership. The e-mail account xxxxx@abc.com was successfully modified. /home/abc/etc/shadow is a link. Not changing ownership. The e-mail account xxxxx@abc.com was successfully modified. /home/abc/etc/shadow is a link. Not changing ownership. The e-mail account xxxxx@abc.com was successfully modified. /home/abc/etc/shadow is a link. Not changing ownership. The e-mail account xxxxx@abc.com was successfully modified. /home/abc/etc/shadow is a link. Not changing ownership. The e-mail account xxxxx@abc.com was successfully modified. /home/abc/etc/shadow is a link. Not changing ownership.

I've changed password's for customer's plenty of times and never seen this before. So, now of course, I'm starting to think that it MIGHT be the server....maybe something didn't "Unsuspend" properly.

But I have no problems sending/receiving emails on my machine in OE after changing the password.

Maybe I should change the password to ALL the accounts and see if they start working but I would appreciate some insight from you folks on this! THANKS!

As this is my VERY FIRST POST to the forums - I'm not sure what I need to include about my server, apache, exim, etc. :rolleyes:

2. AndyReed

AndyReed Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

SSH to your server and make sure the ownership and permission are set properly for this account. If this doesn't help, ask them to use a different port such as 26 or 27 or whatever you set as an additional port for exim. If that doesn't work, ask them to power off their cable modem, wait a minute or two, power on and try to send/receive.

There are other suggestions to troubleshoot email problems, visit our Web site >> Knowledge Base.