The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Outgoing messages undelivered: what is it with hotmail.com?

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by spiff06, Jul 1, 2005.

1. spiff06

spiff06 Well-Known Member

I've had a recurring problem with my (single) cPanel server: the random inability to send mail from web scripts.

It occured again last night on a new Drupal site I'm experimenting with: a test user, using a hotmail account, never received the registration info, even though /var/log/exim_mainlog shows it's been sent (email masked):

Where do I look to investigate what's wrong? Is the problem due to my server, to a faulty/missing header in the mailing script or an incorrect reverse DNS/relay setup?

2. __arjun__

__arjun__ Guest

Are you able to connect to hotmail from your server?

Code:
    telnet mx3.hotmail.com 25

3. spiff06

spiff06 Well-Known Member

Thanks for your reply, Arjun.
    Turns out I jumped the gun after failing to hear from a user, but the message was delivered properly after all.

Just to make this thread useful in case someone comes here... When an outgoing message isn't delivered:

1. check that the message was actually sent (look for a trace in /var/log/exim/mainlog). If it hasn't, you have an exim configuration problem.

2. check that you can connect to the target domain from your box (telnet mx.domain.com 25, see example test). If you can't, as I understand it, you may have a faulty Reverse DNS setup, the target domain may be blocked by your firewall, or the source domain (your server) is possibly blacklisted.

Anything else that could be relevant to general outgoing mail troubleshooting?