The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Outgoing spam - smtp tweak?

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by headout, Aug 7, 2009.

1. headout

headout Well-Known Member

Hi,

we have seen this week multiple spamruns from a server. With suPHP, we tracked the offending account immediately. We've setup Clamav, limited the " The maximum each domain can send out per hour (0 is unlimited)" on 100 emails. Despite these actions, we got CBL and spamcop listed.

I've searched on this forum, and saw the advice to enable "smtp tweak". But I cannot find it:
    WHM >> security >> security center >> ?
    WHM >> tweak settings >> ?
    cPanel 11.24.5-R37946 - WHM 11.24.2 - X 3.9 FREEBSD
    Where can find this option? Otherwise we have to start setting up IPFW to limit outgoing email, which is horrible I think for this usage.

Anyone who can tell me where to find the smtp tweak setting?

Ron

2. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
  3. headout

Nope, it isn't there:
    CSF won't work on a FreeBSD system, because of the use of IPtables.

What i'm thinking of: the "smtp tweak" is a non-FreeBSD option?

4. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Ah, could be. No personal knowledge of this, but I'm sure someone who has will reply to sort us out. ;)

5. Spiral

Spiral BANNED

Even though it is on the "supported list", FreeBSD is not really the best choice for running a Cpanel system primarily because of items such as this.

Now regarding your getting listed in the blacklist RBLs, it is possible that you got listed for spam email messages that were sent out **PRIOR** to you make any system changes or limited the mail sending.

Even after you fix the problem and stop the spam sending, you might get listed because someone who received the message doesn't report your server until a few days later whenever they got around to checking their mailbox. By that time, you may have already stopped the spam but still get reported because of what had already been sent out earlier. Unfortunately, that happens! :rolleyes:

Another possibility is your mail queue may still have spam messages waiting to send that are already beyond the control of the account or offending script and those queued outbound messages could also get you listed.

Now regarding iptables under FreeBSD, I have seen a number of translating scripts that accept iptable commands and send them over to FreeBSD's packet filter (pf). You might want to look into one of those.

6. cPanelKenneth

cPanelKenneth cPanel Development
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    The SMTP Tweak modifies the IPTables rules. We don't have an equivalent for the FreeBSD firewall.

7. headout

@cpanelkenneth: Thanks for clearing that out.

@Spiral: thanks for your kind answer. We removed the existing email in the queue directly.