cPanel & WHM Version
Don't Know, But new Enough to No Longer Show Version Where It Was Forever

PostAlmostAnything

Mar 3, 2020
Portland, Oregon
cPanel Access Level
Website Owner
Well... cPanel is just a tool.

Now, you can argue that cPanel has marketed itself as some magic tool that automatically does everything you ever need - I might join you in that argument. But in the end it's just a tool.

With ANYTHING that is on the Internet there is no such thing as a "install this and leave it and never have to worry about it ever again!" Has cPanel and other control panels peddled themselves as such? Maybe. But it's a marketing scheme - it doesn't make it true.
Well, you're probably right, but for something as simple as email they market themselves as a total package. All I should have to do is configure the email account in cPanel, plug the info into Outlook, and connect. That is all I've ever had to do before, so why would cPanel change it now?

sparek-3

Aug 10, 2002
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Why give me a command line directive instead of telling me to open WHM, find the part featured above, and use it?
I avoid the WHM as much as possible. I manage over 40 servers - I can't log into the WHM every single time on every single server to perform tasks. Shell and command-line makes everything so, so, so much easier for people like me.

In root's WHM there should be a link under Restart Services for Mail Server (Exim) that SHOULD restart exim.

PostAlmostAnything

Mar 3, 2020
Portland, Oregon
cPanel Access Level
Website Owner
I stopped using HmailServer for the domains I use to host .Net sites because at the time cPanel was much easier AND didn't land in the junk mail folder as much (today however every email I send myself lands in junkmail no matter how many times I mark them as not junk). Now I am wondering if I should use Hmail
We haven't. Something is broken either on your machine, or your connection to that network.
Are there any new security features that might block access to my IP?

cPRex

Jurassic Moderator
Staff member
Oct 19, 2014
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
We're getting pretty far off track here, so let's try and focus back in on the original issue.

What error message do you get from Outlook?
Did the telnet test not properly complete? Normally you should get some output similar to this:

"connected to mailserver.domain.com - Escape character is ] - we do not authorize the use of this system to transport unsolicited and or bulk email"

If that didn't happen, you couldn't connect from your machine to the server, which could indicate a firewall problem on the server, or a change on the network outside of your control.

As a test, you can run the same command with port 80 from your local workstation to see what a working connection looks like:

Code:
telnet domain.com 80
as port 80 is the connection to the webserver.

If your IP was blocked, you wouldn't be able to access WHM or websites.

sparek-3

Aug 10, 2002
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Did the telnet test not properly complete? Normally you should get some output similar to this:

"connected to mailserver.domain.com - Escape character is ] - we do not authorize the use of this system to transport unsolicited and or bulk email"
You won't get this if you connect via telnet with a tls_on_connect port - which port 465 is pretty standard in that regard - think that's the cPanel default.

You'll get a Escape character is '^]'. But you won't get an SMTP banner. But I suppose that would be enough to determine if the IP or service is blocked.

You'd have to use something like openssl's s_client

openssl s_client -connect domain.com:465

to get a response from a tls_on_connect port.

sparek-3

Aug 10, 2002
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
If you are using any firewall software you would need to determine if your IP address is being blocked.

You will ultimately need to review the exim logs to see what is happening when you try to connect to the SMTP service, assuming your IP address is not blocked.

There's just really not enough information here to diagnose the issue.