The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Outlook error 0x800CCC90

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by n000b, Mar 18, 2011.

1. n000b

n000b Well-Known Member

Hi,

A customer contacted me saying that the other day all of their e-mail accounts (4 e-mail accounts on the one domain hosted on my server, which are all being checked in the one copy of Outlook) stopped receiving e-mails.

Here are the errors they are receiving:

http://andrew.estyles.com.au/emailproblems.jpg

The error message indicates that they are trying to use SSL and the server is rejecting them based on that for whatever reason, however I have had the customer double check that they are neither using SSL, nor do they have the SPA option checked in their e-mail client. Furthermore, they are set to use port 110 in their e-mail client, but the error indicates that it is connecting on port 995, the SSL port.

Does anyone know what could be going wrong?

2. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    There is definitely something in Outlook configured to use the wrong port because it is Outlook reporting it is trying to connect on that port. If you have their login details and a copy of Outlook, you could test yourself to see if you can connect. If you can normally, then some setting has been changed in Outlook by the user(s).

3. mtindor

mtindor Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Well, TCP 995 is POP3 over SMTP. I'm betting either that particular customer's LAN had lost routing to your server [i.e. maybe their router went down and they didn't know it, or maybe their location just lost routing to your server location... it happens]. Otherwise, it could have been a firewall issue on their end where their firewall was erroneously blocking TCP 995 activity in or out. Or maybe you were working on your iptables rules and blocked TCP 995. Who knows. But if everyone else but that particular customer was able to access POP3-over-SSL, then it was their end and nothing you can do about it.

If it's working now, I wouldnt' worry about it. If it happens again, see if you can connect to TCP 995 of your server from some remote site. if you can, then it's a problem on your customer's end.

Mike

#3 mtindor, Mar 18, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2011