Outlook for android won't send

keat63

Well-Known Member
Nov 20, 2014
1,913
259
113
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
I received my new phone this week (Galaxy S20) and found that this one came with 'Outlook for Android' instead of the Samsung email client.
Lets give it a try, see how it goes.

I configured my imap and pop 3 accounts, which will will both receive, but nether will send.
The messages are just stuck in the outbox, not sending.

So I installed the Samsung client, configured both mailboxes the same, and both work faultlessly as expected.

Both using ports 993 and 465, and 995 for pop.

I can't particulrly see any errors in exim mainlog or lfd log etc, so I'm at a loss as to why one client will send, but the other one wont.
Could this be another case of SSL/TLS Cipher Suite List & Options for OpenSSL in exim config, and if so, any ideas where to start looking in logs.
 

cPRex

Jurassic Moderator
Staff member
Oct 19, 2014
6,951
920
313
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hey hey, @keat63

So the Outlook client didn't work, but the Samsung client did work on the same network, correct?

Instead of the exim_mainlog, /var/log/maillog would be the place to look for the initial connection and access errors. Can you check there and see if there is anything out of the ordinary?
 

keat63

Well-Known Member
Nov 20, 2014
1,913
259
113
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Thats correct, outlook was stuck in the outbox on both accounts, but Samsung email works OK.
I need to play more over the weekend.
 

cPRex

Jurassic Moderator
Staff member
Oct 19, 2014
6,951
920
313
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
That's just weird. That would seem to isolate the issue to something with Outlook, but like you said, it could be something on the server with the ciphers or other connection issues.

I asked around to some of the guys with Android devices but no one had anything that new, and no one has experienced that exact issue.
 

keat63

Well-Known Member
Nov 20, 2014
1,913
259
113
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
I had a chance to have a play over the weekend, Outlook for Android is doing something through MS servers.
The software is not connecting directly with my server, but going through Microsoft servers to get there.
I can see traffic coming from 52.125.140.xxx, which according to Google is Microsoft in Netherlands

It's never going to work on my server, as my critera for email login is extremely strict.
It's limited by country for a start, and The Netherlands is not in my allow list.

It's a bit naughty on MicroSoft, why would they do this.
I'm always a bit wary of things like this, and often wonder what Google and MS etc know about me.
 
Last edited: