The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Outlook HANGS after downloading mailperm email!!! Help!

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by nitromax, Jun 6, 2003.

1. nitromax

nitromax Well-Known Member

The weirdest thing started happening. Whenever my Outlook 2000 or 2002 email client downloads the email that cron sends regarding the /scripts/mailperm cron that runs, Outlook hangs every time! That is the only email that it does it on.

I have to then import all mail into Outlook Express, delete the mailperm emails, then import them back into Outlook. This has happened serveral times now. I thought maybe I had a virus of some kind... None. I actually reformatted my entire hard drive and reloaded Windows XP and everything else. But as soon as I download that email from cron it hangs.

Anyone else notice this? What would it be about this email that would cause Outlook 2000 and/or Outlook 2002 to hang? Is it because of all the links in that email?

I'm baffled...

Is there any way to suppress this one email by editing a config file on the server?

cPanel.net Support Ticket Number:

#1 nitromax, Jun 6, 2003
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2003
  2. ho247

ho247 Active Member

This sounds like it's because the e-mail contains a large amount of data in it and Outlook is having a hard time reading it. If you leave it running for about half an hour or even a few hours then it should read it all eventually. It'll show up as the program is not responding, but it's really just trying to read the file. I've had the same problem here. You can make a mail rule in Outlook to move it to a new folder and mark it as read or even just delete (up to you).

Alan

3. nitromax

nitromax Well-Known Member

Hi Alan,

Yeah, I waited a while and found out that it was just trying to read the entire email.

I had setup a mail rule to delete it, but before when I thought it was hanging, it would some times get caught on that email right before it moved it to the deleted folder. So I thought that the mail rule was not going to cut it, but I guess now it will, you just have to wait if it gets stuck on that email.

Problem is, who wants to wait a long time while it's reading the email in. It would be nice if there was a way to stop that email from coming in. I went into the /scripts/mailperm file to see if it was generating an email, but I didn't see that it was. Cron must be doing it.

You know how you can setup an email block in the CPanel control panel based on if the Subject 'contains' blah... ? Do you know how to do that for system (cron) email? Maybe it can be done in the /etc/valiases directory?

4. ho247

ho247 Active Member

If you're using the Cpanel mail filter, that should work as long as the email is being sent into the Cpanel mailbox. It makes no difference if cron is generating the email, as cron will just send it to the admin address listed in the WHM edit screen.

Alan

5. X-Istencedotcom

X-Istencedotcom Well-Known Member

Personally i dont use outlook.

I have seen however more mail clients hang on downloading the files.