The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

outlook wtf

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by cr0wbar, Jul 17, 2007.

1. cr0wbar

cr0wbar Member

The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'mail.americanteamfortress.com', Server: 'mail.americanteamfortress.com', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10051, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E

what does this mean?

2. mtindor

mtindor Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator

It means your Outlook was not able to connect to port 25 (the SMTP port) of mail.americanteamfortress.com.

- maybe the server's SMTP was down at the time
    - maybe your connection was down at the time
    - maybe you have a firewall prohibiting you from accessing SMTP on that server
    - maybe that server has blocked your ability to access it via SMTP
    - maybe your ISP does not allow you to connect to mail servers other than its own mail servers to send mail

This is a really generic question, and if you are having problems such as that, you should contact your ISP for support, then your web host for support.

Mike

3. cr0wbar

cr0wbar Member

its not
    - maybe the server's SMTP was down at the time
    - maybe your connection was down at the time
    - maybe you have a firewall prohibiting you from accessing SMTP on that server
    - maybe that server has blocked your ability to access it via SMTP

so it has to be my isp cause im the runner of the web site and i have FULL access to this server and it hasnt been down and neither was my internet connection and its not my firewall cause it wont work on any computer on my network but maybe my dsl router has a firewall that i cant remotely disable

4. Voltar

Voltar Well-Known Member

Some ISPs block port 25 to prevent spam being sent out/relayed. That's why in WHM there is an option to run a instance of Exim on another port, usually port 26. You might try to see if that works, otherwise contact your host and/or ISP.

5. mtindor

mtindor Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    If you are running Windows, open up an MSDOS prompt and then:

telnet mail.<yourmailserver.ext> 25

If you don't see an SMTP banner, then your ISP is likely blocking port 25 access. Most responsible ISPs these days are blocking end user ability to send mail over port 25 except to the ISP's own mailservers. This prevents a lot of virus-infected computers from being able to spam the global Internet. And if an infected system (or spammer/abuser) were to attempt to use the ISP's mailserver to deliver the spam/virus infected emails, the ISP would then have a record of it. This is why it is done.

Like Voltar said, if you run the server, then have Exim run on a separate port as well so that you can get around any port 25 blocks that your connectivity provider may impose on you. And, also like Voltar said, if you can't do that then you should contact your ISP - Your ISP may allow you to 'opt out' of port 25 blocking (SBC/ATT allows opting out for their broadband customers). If nothing else, you're ISP will likely allow you to send all of your outbound mail through their servers, using your email account with them as the SMTP auth credentials.

Mike