The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

overselling allowed option for resellers

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by lldeepakll, Feb 28, 2013.

1. lldeepakll

lldeepakll Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi,

I have searched on old posts but not able to find an exact answers. So the problem is I have a reseller account with 1 gb disk space and 10 gb bandwidth with the overselling allowed option enabled. Now I found that this reseller account is using around 4 gb (but I allowed only 1 gb space to use) space (It means he can use any amount of space). How it can be possible ? As I can understand the overselling option means the reseller should only be able to provide more disk space to his clients just for showing. (i.e. he can not use that space in actual).

Can anyone please explain the actual work of overselling option ?

2. crazyaboutlinux

crazyaboutlinux Well-Known Member

Hi,

i think only cpanel staff can be able to respond to this query.

3. ruzbehraja

ruzbehraja Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Giving a quota and allowing overselling, means that till the quota is reached, the reseller can keep creating new accounts.

Once the quota that you have set is exceeded, the reseller cannot create MORE accounts, but his existing users can continue to use how much ever they want (i.e. whatever the reseller has set). So if the reseller has set unlimited in the quota, they will be able to use unlimited if overselling is enabled. AFAIK this is done so as to prevent the resellers' users from suffering.

Edit Reseller Nameservers and Privileges

Although cPanel has given an example, I also think they need to clarify this point on the WHM page, by either pointing to a link or giving an example with the point of "prior oversell reseller users not having any limit" emphasized.

#3 ruzbehraja, Feb 28, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2013