The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Own physical server plausible?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by CraftyPanda, Nov 15, 2012.

1. CraftyPanda

CraftyPanda Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi,

So i have been paying another company to use CPanel as a reseller with shared hosting, but i am thinking now that I want to look into hosting my websites on my own physical server in the office. So off the back of that I have a couple of questions if somebody would be kind enough to answer. Any and all feedback would be appreciated.

1. For the other people that have done this did you find the set up and exsiting websites transfer easy enough? I appreciate that is a relative question

2. What kind of bandwidth would you recommend for hosting you own server? We are talking around 80 websites, a mix of light and heavy sites, magento, wp and plain html etc. I can get broadband on a dedicated IP to the office for £380 for the year with 10Meg Up and 50 Meg down. Do you think this is suitable for hosting?

Please don't hesitate to call me an idiot if i am well off the tracks
    Thanks for your time
    Andy

2. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    1) Moving accounts from one cPanel server to another is not too tough to do. :)

2) You might like to read this article, one of many you can find online with little effort:
    /http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/askjack/2011/feb/03/website-hosting-at-home-office-ask-jack

That article covers this topic of setting up your own hosting server at home or office, pretty good I think.

By the time you pay for an IP and a fast connection, power backups as the server needs to stay up of course, and many other issues that are sure to come up with 80+ websites, you'll probably find the cost of your own server at one of the larger Hosting Providers, less expensive.

3. concerto49

concerto49 Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Is there a particular reason you want to put the server in your own office? It is fine to be wanting a dedicated server or even just a VPS, but as said there are a lot of issues to cater for.

Power redundancy? Cooling? Costs? Network and network redundancy? A data center might be a better option. Contact a host that can do this with you and work out a long term relationship.