perplex

May 3, 2016
UK
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hello :)

There are two forms of ownership discussed here. First, is the ownership of the account itself. It's either owned by "root", or by a reseller account username. This is in no way related to the ownership of the files within the account's home directory. It's to determine which accounts belong to a reseller, and which accounts belong to root. What you are referring to in your posts is the ownership of the files/directories in the account's home directory. The ownership of the files/directories is completely unrelated to the option you are referring to. The only way to change ownership of these files/directories is through the use of the "chown" command.

Thank you.
Hello,

I also have the issue of not being able to use the drop-down selection menu to change the Account Owner, WHM simply lists options as "root" or "htroot"! Why are all the other account owners missing from this list? How do I do this please?

cPRex

Jurassic Moderator
Staff member
Oct 19, 2014
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hey there! Can you let me know which specific area of WHM you're looking at? If you're referring to the option in WHM >> Modify an Account, that will only show root users and resellers, as those are the only users that can own an account.