The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Package names with spaces...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by EMS, Mar 7, 2005.

1. EMS

EMS BANNED

Hi,

If a package is created with a space - i,e "Linux Package", I notice that when viewed from a customer control panel this will become "LinuxPackage". If I use an API to create accounts on the server, what should I use as the package name ? I presume the the actual field value is the truncated version but I'd like somene to confirm this please if poss.

Thanks.

2. electric

electric Well-Known Member

This is a bug with cpanel. They don't support package names with spaces.

Yes, you can create them, but if you try to upgrade to it from a different package, it will die.

3. Misiek

Misiek Well-Known Member

Old but need to be upped. I had always package name since 11.24 and now on 11.24 when i had Package X on the list i see only Package, does this feature is bugged again ???

4. cPanelKenneth

cPanelKenneth cPanel Development
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I cannot reproduce this in 11.25.0 either in WHM or cPanel. More information is needed to reproduce. Could you provide exact steps required to reproduce the problem you are seeing? Also a screen shot would be helpful.

5. Misiek

Misiek Well-Known Member

Well i cannot add screen cause i changed all packeges names but here is how to reproduce :

1. Created package Take S
    2. Added user X to this package then in Account list clicking 10 time after this i see Package only Take
    3. When i edit account package i see Take S, so it should be correct but when i changed package hdd space from 2000MB to 3000 MB user X still has 2000MB and no notification is going cause the cpanel Sees it as Take

6. sneader

sneader Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Kenneth, or anyone from cPanel...

What are the requirements and limitations for the Package Name? The Documentation Wiki simply says:

There is some discussion of problems with spaces... are they allowed and OK to use, or not? I understand the underscore has special meaning and probably shouldn't be used. Hyphens OK?

- Scott

7. cPanelKenneth

cPanelKenneth cPanel Development
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    We pretty much allow anything that is valid in a filename.

Spaces are OK. Any misbehavior with spaces in the package name need reported as a bug. We fixed one such a few months ago in 11.2.50 /etc/userplans was not being updated properly, which resulted in only partial display of the package name in List Accounts.

Hyphens are fine.

Underscores are used to distinguish global vs. reseller-specific packages. That's fine for root, but resellers will only see underscored packages that match their username.