The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Packages

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dennisb1, Jun 9, 2007.

1. Dennisb1

Dennisb1 Active Member

Hello,

First of all sorry for my bad english.
    My quistion is why isnt it possible to edit the name of the packages so i can add root_ before it so my resellers cant use it?
    At the beginning i never tought of it when i bought my own server.
    If there is any way please tell me im not re generating all packages from the start to much work

Regards,
    Dennis

2. Dennisb1

Dennisb1 Active Member

Yeah well if there isnt root_ infront of it other resellers can use the package too.
    At the edit list or delete list the package list is empty but at the create account you can see all root package's

[edit] why did the person above me deleted his message?]

#2 Dennisb1, Jun 10, 2007
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2007
  3. Dennisb1

Dennisb1 Active Member

*bumping* :)

4. PWSowner

PWSowner Well-Known Member

All the packages are stored in /var/cpanel/packages and the file name is the package name, so you can just change the file name to add root_ in front of it, but then accounts using that package will no longer be matched up with it. To fix that you need to edit the user files in /var/cpanel/users. I just used a secure FTP program, SecureFX, to download the files, then used a text editor that lets you work with multiple pages and do search/replace, then upload the changed files.

Sounds like a lot of work, but a while back I did the same thing you want to do and it only took me about 15 minutes.

5. Dennisb1

Dennisb1 Active Member

Ok! thanks for the help!
    I will look to it when im back from holiday got no time because im going in a few hours/

But when changing it will there be no other conflicts?
    Because if cpanel wanted to lett people to change there package name then they could create a simple function in whm itself or am i wrong?

6. jeremy_reliable

jeremy_reliable Active Member
    PartnerNOC

The package files are owned by 'root' and only writable by those with root access. So if you checked root in the reseller's configuration file they would be able to modify them, otherwise, not. You can run
    Code:
    ls -al /var/cpanel/packages/
    to confirm this. All the files permissions should look like this:
    Code:
    -rw-r--r--   1 root root
    Also linux has some great tools to find and replace without copying the files to your local system like this.

Code:
    for i in `find /var/cpanel/users/ -type f`;do sed 's/PLAN=your_plan_name/PLAN=your_new_plan_name/g' $i > $i.tmp; mv -f $i.tmp $i;done